Author Topic: Auto-update interval ignored  (Read 28180 times)

JohnnyBob

Auto-update interval ignored
« on: April 15, 2011, 10:00:02 AM »
I have Auto-update interval set for 2880 minutes (2 days) but it is apparently being ignored. I don't know exactly how often, but I see the update popup much more frequently than that. My guess is that it's updating every four hours, which is the default, and ignoring my setting. So is there a maximum limit for this user setting, beyond which it's ignored?

I don't know if it's relevant but... I also have the following setting in avast5.ini:
[InetWD]
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=7200

so it should wait 2 hours after restarting my computer before it updates the first time. Apparently this setting is working OK. But then according to my setting above, it should wait another 2 days before the second update.

Yes, I know the security arguments about updating more often, but I don't buy them. The above settings are what I want. I have a very busy computer and don't want my applications interrupted more frequently.

Dieselman

Re: Auto-update interval ignored
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 12:05:45 PM »
New definitions are released about 2-3 times a day. If you do not have those definitions then you are not up to date with the most current malware fighting definitions. How hard is that to understand. Some company's release 5-6 updates per day.

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 12:29:47 PM »
I think the OP understands that well and he explained it ::) if he still doesn't want to update as advised, ie as updates are released, that's his problem. Now the issue to solve is why Avast doesn't respect other interval settings than the default apparently...  ???

Dieselman

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 12:37:58 PM »
Maybe cause Avast wants people to be SAFE. Cause then you can have somebody saying "Avast missed a virus cause the data base was out of date".

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 12:39:09 PM »
so what's the setting for? glorified button?

Dieselman

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 12:42:36 PM »
So people can change it to maybe every 6-8 hours rather then every 4 by default. Not every 48 hours.  ::)

spg SCOTT

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 12:47:47 PM »
JohnnyBob, can you work out how long it is between each update?

Also do you reboot during the 2 day period? If so it could start the whole cycle again, starting with the 2 hour period after booting. (I think avast will automatically check for updates on boot - after the given interval you have set)

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 12:48:12 PM »
@dieselman yeah this may be ... should be tested to see if it works with "acceptable" timings... one reason I posted here is that I think I tested that months ago with shorter checks and it didn't work at all, auto-check remained stuck on 240'. I don't care, was just for testing.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 12:50:36 PM »
I don't see any upper limit for that value.

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 12:51:52 PM »
I don't see any upper limit for that value.

oh okay so the OP's setting should work

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 01:07:08 PM »
IMHO yes, though I'm not saying there can't be a bug somewhere.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 01:34:54 PM »
Things must be clear: if there is an upper limit, it should be said. It there isn't and the limit does not work, there is a bug... or remove the limit.
The best things in life are free.

Dieselman

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 03:08:41 PM »

Also do you reboot during the 2 day period? If so it could start the whole cycle again, starting with the 2 hour period after booting. (I think avast will automatically check for updates on boot - after the given interval you have set)

I 100% agree. Thats every 2 hour from first boot. But if its been days then thats over the time limit. Leave your pc on for days and see what happens.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:12:40 PM by Dieselman »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 03:34:05 PM »

Avast does check for updates on Windows restart.  This can be verified by opening the AvastUI and checking the Maintenance tab right after restart.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Dieselman

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 04:12:49 PM »
Or you can use Process Hacker after you boot up and watch for the Avast Updater running.