Author Topic: Update from version 6.1.000  (Read 9368 times)

Robin1983

Update from version 6.1.000
« on: May 03, 2011, 06:43:28 PM »
Hi there.

I use Avast for some time. Since version 6 avast did not update itself (auto-update) or inform me about a new version. I uninstalled avast (also used the uninstall tool) reinstalled Avast 6.1.000 but its still the same, no information until i open avast.

Can someone help me, it is frustrating not to know if there is a update or not.

Sorry for my bad english!!!

regards
Robin

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Update from version 6.1.000
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 06:51:28 PM »
Try this Robin, download new copy as it's a later version than what you have and save http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe, then uninstall your current version and reboot then run ccleaner and install new copy.
You can grab ccleaner from here if you dont have already, just download the slim version http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 07:05:36 PM by craigb »

Robin1983

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 07:15:24 PM »
Hi. I hope I understand it right. You want me to download the latest version of avast, uninstall my old version, reboot, then run ccleaner und install the latest version of avast!

I can do this, but the problem will remain with the next update of avast. I tryed this with older versions and it does not work.

regards
Robin

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 07:43:56 PM »
You will need the latest version so that we can help you effectively, if you have a firewall other than the default windows one have you allowed all instances of avast ? and in the avast settings/updates/proxy settings is the default still set to auto detect (use internet explorer settings) if so you could try direct connection (no proxy) but it is best to install the new version first and see if it works at it's default settings before making changes.

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 08:46:04 AM »
You will need the latest version so that we can help you effectively, if you have a firewall other than the default windows one have you allowed all instances of avast ? and in the avast settings/updates/proxy settings is the default still set to auto detect (use internet explorer settings) if so you could try direct connection (no proxy) but it is best to install the new version first and see if it works at it's default settings before making changes.
In addition to the above suggestions, if the above does not work, you might also want to try an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Relu

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 09:16:19 AM »
Hi
I have the latest version of AIS.The window updates did not work. I did a clean install and avast notification worked for one day. Today no. Something is wrong with the Avast notification. The AIS updated without notifying. Is there a fix?
Thanks
Relu

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 09:30:52 AM »
What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV)
- Firewall (FW)
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs
- Other security software
- If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or  another way)?

Sometimes, other security software can leave remnants behind or current ones can cause conflicts.  Can you list them for me (current, past ones, trial ones)?  Thank you.

Relu

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 09:55:46 AM »
Hi
I bought the notebook with preinstalled Norton. I used cleaning tool and after that I installed Vipre. I had a lot of problems with Vipre. I unintalled
it using cleaning tool. I have AIS and mbam free. My notebook is hp pavilion dv7-2022tx, osWindows 7 home premium 32 bit
Thanks
Relu

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 10:16:36 AM »
Norton (Symantec) requires its own Uninstaller Tool:

Download and run the Norton removal tool from here to clear them  http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

Since Symantec is known to leave remnants behind, you can also go into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly upon boot up), once in Safe Mode go to Advance Search > enter "sym" into the search box and see if anything comes up.  Do the same but type in symlcbrd.sys , which is a Symantec Core Service BIOS reader.  Do it again but type in Symantec, and again but type in NIS or NAV (depending on what you had installed on the machine).  If you are uncertain of the files that come up on the search, right click on the file to show you Properties and you can tell if it belongs to Symantec...if it does you can delete it then empty your recycle bin and restart your machine.  Reboot.

As for uninstalling Vipre, I would contact the vendor for uninstallation.  You may also want to check this: http://getsatisfaction.com/sunbeltsoftware/topics/cannot_uninstall_vipre.  Reboot.

You cannot use a third-party uninstaller on a security program.  You need to use the vendor's uninstaller tool to completely remove all the software.  This could be causing your problems.

If you have problems with Avast after uninstalling, try an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Let us know how this works for you.  Thanks.

Relu

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 03:10:35 AM »
Hi SafeSurf,
I used in the past norton removal tool and vipre removal tool,too. Regarding norton and vipre my notebook is clean. I bought AIS in December 2010. I did not have any  problem with avast updates notifications. It started in March. Now is working again. I did a repair and now is working. For how long I do not know. I think that something is wrong with AIS. This is my opinion.
Thanks for your information.
Relu

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 11:31:38 AM »
Hi Relu,

What version of AIS are you using?  If you are not using the current version 6.0.1091, then I would upgrade (or since you have had problems all along) do a clean install to the latest version.

Are you using any other kind of security software?  Another firewall (Windows Firewall), Windows Defender (WD), anything else?  Is MBAM the free or Pro/paid version?  If it is the Pro version, did you put it in the Avast exclusions under Settings, Avast Real Time Shields, and Behavior Shield?  Some find that this helps avoid conflicts.

You may also want to run a free Secunia scan to make sure all your software is up to date since you mentioned something earlier about having problems with a Windows update http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/.  Some Windows 7 users did have problems after the Windows 7 update, and I'm wondering if this is when you also developed your problem.  Try running this Secunia scan and see if you get any errors or need any updates.  The site will tell you and give you the vendor's download link if you need to update anything.  Let me know how things go.  Thank you.

Relu

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 09:04:37 AM »
Hi SafeSurf,
I have AIS 6.0.1091 and mbam free; no other security software or firewall. Everything on my pc is up-to-date. Thank you for your help.
Relu

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 09:19:21 AM »
Make sure you have checked the option "no proxy" in Avast -> Settings -> Update.
Also enable "Always connected" in same dialog.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

SafeSurf

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 11:11:48 AM »
I have AIS 6.0.1091 and mbam free; no other security software or firewall.
Since you are running Windows 7, I would turn on your Windows Firewall for protection if you haven't done this already.  The Windows 7 firewall should provide you adequate protection.

Did you find any remnants when you ran the uninstallers again?

How is Avast running for you now?  Can you get the updates now without problems?  If not, please let us know and use the suggestion posted by Zyndstoff.  Thank you.

Also, have you run an MBAM scan (update it prior to scanning)  to make sure you are clean of infection?

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 11:14:50 AM »

Since you are running Windows 7, I would turn on your Windows Firewall for protection if you haven't done this already.  The Windows 7 firewall should provide you adequate protection.

He can do this, but it is not necessary in Win 7 - AIS is installed.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear