Author Topic: Is Avast Free's registration e-mail reply down?  (Read 9570 times)

antdude

Is Avast Free's registration e-mail reply down?
« on: May 11, 2011, 06:07:24 AM »
Hello!

I had to register to get another license key since Avast Free v6 expired yesterday on the 9th. I told Avast to give me a another key so I registered through its program's popup to reregister site. I still haven't gotten anything for about 30 minutes. I also tried http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php and same thing. I used two different e-mail addresses (two different domains). What's up? I really need the security protection since it says unsecured. :(

Thank you in advance. :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 06:14:25 AM by AntDude »

caledoniannorm

Re: Is Avast Free's registration e-mail reply down?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 07:40:21 AM »
I don't think you get an email confirmation now, but the "registration" section in the GUI should show the new expiry date one year from now.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 07:45:40 AM »
Check your spam-folders. Sometimes the Avast-mails get caught in the ISP's spam filter.

Why don't you just register via GUI, without email?
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

antdude

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 07:46:02 AM »
I don't think you get an email confirmation now, but the "registration" section in the GUI should show the new expiry date one year from now.
Really? I did have to enter e-mail address twice and told me to wait for the e-mail to enter the new license key manually.

antdude

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 07:48:37 AM »
Check your spam-folders. Sometimes the Avast-mails get caught in the ISP's spam filter.

Why don't you just register via GUI, without email?
Nothing in the spam folders.

Uh, I did the reregistration in Avast's pop-up. It told me to enter e-mail addresses twice and enter the license key manually. Did I miss something?

I will take screen shots later.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
Free MBAM Clear

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 08:37:48 AM »
@ Zyndstoff,

Unfortunately, the GUI isn't always working the way it should lately and it often asks for the email even if you go through the GUI.  Perhaps the servers are busy now with the new version release, so may explain the email delay.

@ AntDude,

You should at least have a 30-day trial before you need to enter your license/key if I'm not mistaken.  Can you verify this:  Open Avast GUI > Maintenance > Registration or on the main GUI page.  Thank you.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:48:23 AM »
You should at least have a 30-day trial before you need to enter your license/key if I'm not mistaken.  Can you verify this:  Open Avast GUI > Maintenance > Registration or on the main GUI page.  Thank you.

... since Avast Free v6 expired yesterday on the 9th.

Safe... time for coffee again. ;D
Free MBAM Clear

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 09:52:34 AM »
Oops....will get that coffee in a minute.  :P

antdude

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 02:41:30 PM »
@ Zyndstoff,

Unfortunately, the GUI isn't always working the way it should lately and it often asks for the email even if you go through the GUI.  Perhaps the servers are busy now with the new version release, so may explain the email delay.

@ AntDude,

It said expired when I checked last night. Also, its security protection was disabled. I don't have the old client's PC, with Windows 2000 SP4, right now to check (will do it tonight).

antdude

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 02:42:48 PM »
How to register Avast free
That is what I saw and did last night. No dang e-mails even as I type this reply! Is it working for anyone else?

I do get forum thread e-mail notifications!

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 02:59:09 PM »
If you register in the Avast-GUI as described in my link, there will be no email. No key you have to type in.
You enter your details, click "register" and it's done.
Free MBAM Clear

antdude

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 03:14:48 PM »
If you register in the Avast-GUI as described in my link, there will be no email. No key you have to type in.
You enter your details, click "register" and it's done.
Hmm, I will have to try again tonight. I wonder why it still said expired. Also, I used the same e-mail address that I used in in last year's version (v5). I don't know if this makes any differences. I upgraded v5 to v6 directly with a required reboot (did not manually uninstall).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 03:16:58 PM by AntDude »

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 03:20:58 PM »
You are of course online when registering...?

In Avast, make sure to set "No proxy" and "Always connected" in the Settings -> Update dialog.

It is possible that the servers are down... just retry a little later maybe.
Free MBAM Clear

antdude

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 03:28:12 PM »
You are of course online when registering...?

In Avast, make sure to set "No proxy" and "Always connected" in the Settings -> Update dialog.

It is possible that the servers are down... just retry a little later maybe.
Yeah, I was online but I can say the wireless isn't always stable. Even if I had no Internet, shouldn't Avast tell me that reregisteration failed? I was able to download virus definitions in expired mode which was weird too. When expired, shouldn't that not work? Or is only real-time protection gets disabled?