Author Topic: Prevent Pop-up Ads in free version?  (Read 93165 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Prevent Pop-up Ads in free version?
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2011, 11:29:30 PM »
This could very well spell the end of my use of Avast.
In that case don't try Avira or AVG - I cannot see the problem to be honest, I mean it is mountains out of a mole hill
One pop up two or three times a year for a free product that does not cost you a penny to use.  What is the problem.. I really need someone to tell me why it is such a heinous crime  

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2011, 11:34:11 PM »
I absolutely HATE this advertising popup disguised as an Avast update notification. This could very well spell the end of my use of Avast.

Good luck in finding a free AV that is close to avast and doesn't do this in a more aggressive manner than this. To me that would be a bit like cutting of your nose to spite your face.

The reason we are speaking out is that this 'hasn't happened' in the past and I have been using avast for over 7 years.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gargamel360

« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2011, 11:41:55 PM »
disguised as an Avast update notification.
That gives me an idea to input something constructive.....what if, when this happens again (assuming it will) or for future sales offers, you put the offer within the update pop-up?  

The update notification is an already existent pop-up, and a common one, so this would minimize flak from those who don't want any additional pop-ups....the window would be green, eliminating the inherent "caution" reaction people have to the color yellow, something I really feel should be reserved for security-related issues....

Of course, I'm sure marketing wants this to be as visible as possible  ::), hence the weird timing (some time after an update, not during) and yellow color (quick look over here, this is your AV program speaking, something might be wrong!!), I'm just trying to offer thoughts of a possible middle-ground that could be achieved.

Skyline

« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2011, 12:01:59 AM »
Registered to throw in my 2c.

The entire point of this product is is to remove malware, including spyware, adware, viruses, and trojans. The specific behavior of adware is to get on a computer and throw pop-ups and advertisements at the user. If it's now removing adware, but then throwing pop-ups and advertisements at the user, don't you think it's only doing 3/4 of its job? It's just been demonstrated it's no longer a "one time thing" (I expect a response telling me that it's just a "two time thing").

Also, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here, I like to install Avast when I'm helping a tech-inept relative or friend set up their computer. I am expecting a call within the next week from my uncle, who by now should be convinced that his program is going to burn down his house if he does not purchase. We're a user base computer-savvy enough to know that popup ads from a program are optional. Is everyone? Keep in mind that Mac Defender would not spread if absolutely no one believed they did need it.

The least that could be done is a toggle box to prevent showing ads (which should not be done in the color specified in the program as "Warning"). This would preferably be implemented onto the ad - I know many people who would are intimidated by the Avast control panel. The best option would be to make ads opt-in - the presence of sites like Groupon and LivingSocial show that some users love ads if they are related to them. A yes/no dialog box after installation would be the most visible way to ask the user.

as an OT: Putting the password to the user's login in plaintext in the registration email is a terrible practice for anyone, let alone a security business.

Et tu Brutus

« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2011, 12:08:12 AM »
An email advertising AVAST's offerings can be eliminated by a junk filter and never bother a soul. A popup cannot.

AVAST is no longer FREEWARE, it is now ADWARE and the AVAST site should refer to it as such. All mention of AVAST being free is misleading with this newest version with mandatory advertising. I don't care how often it is. Close is no cigar. It is either ad-free, or it isn't.

ADWARE is one of the things I installed AVAST to PREVENT.

Now AVAST is part of the problem. This is very disappointing to say the least. I will be looking for solutions. Either A> prevent the popups b> use an older version of AVAST to see if that works, or if necessary, switch to another product and put AVAST in the toilet with the other adware programs.

Dch48

« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2011, 12:11:13 AM »
I absolutely HATE this advertising popup disguised as an Avast update notification. This could very well spell the end of my use of Avast.
It is not "disguised" at all. It's very clear what it is and totally discernable as being different from an update popup.

As for MSE not doing it. The last time I checked there was no paid version of MSE so that comparison is invalid.

I still have only seen it once. It has not reappeared since the first time for me.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:21:28 AM by Dch48 »

ady4um

« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2011, 12:12:56 AM »
I cannot see the problem to be honest, I mean it is mountains out of a mole hill
One pop up two or three times a year for a free product that does not cost you a penny to use.  What is the problem.. I really need someone to tell me why it is such a heinous crime  
The "problem" is that, as a first impression, the frequency of these ads is not "a few times a year".

It might be "a few times a year", or maybe not. But after presenting this ad for the first time a few days ago (as a "Summer Offer"), Avast is already sending a second ad.

Users reading the forum (and this topic in particular) might accept this "test". Other millions might not welcome it. One every week is not one per month or 4 per year. The "tolerance" to ads is a very personal matter.

In addition, having MSE available "for free" is still a factor. The fact that MS receives its income from something else is not a factor for the user to change to use MSE or not. It *is* indeed a factor for Avast Software, but not for the user. (*Other* details/quality might be a factor for the user, but not the source for income of MS.)

what if, when this happens again (assuming it will) or for future sales offers, you put the offer within the update pop-up?  

Although Gargamel1360 also mentions some "pros" for the idea, it has also "cons". Separate colors in separate unobtrusive pop ups are "clear". Mixing the main purpose of the messages might be taken as "not being clear", or "trying to be somehow surreptitious" or alike.

I personally think that a clear NON intrusive separate "offer-ONLY" pop up (as it is now) is better than a "mixed" pop up, harder to understand or read (or more confusing), specially for international users.

But, as already mentioned, the set of several colors for each type of tray notifications might need to be improved ( for Avast 7.0? ).

I also would like for the programmers to concentrate on "real security" functions, and as little as possible on "special offer pop ups inside regular update pup ups" (the looks for different screen resolutions, sizes, fonts, colors, languages...).

Gargamel360

« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2011, 12:15:04 AM »
You will probably see it shortly, Dch48.  Last time, DavidR was one of the first to see it and report also, it didn't appear for me (or most others stateside) till hours later.

Dch48

« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2011, 12:22:08 AM »
An email advertising AVAST's offerings can be eliminated by a junk filter and never bother a soul. A popup cannot.

AVAST is no longer FREEWARE, it is now ADWARE and the AVAST site should refer to it as such. All mention of AVAST being free is misleading with this newest version with mandatory advertising. I don't care how often it is. Close is no cigar. It is either ad-free, or it isn't.

Now AVAST is part of the problem. This is very disappointing to say the least. I will be looking for solutions. Either A> prevent the popups b> use an older version of AVAST to see if that works, or if necessary, switch to another product and put AVAST in the toilet with the other adware programs.

It does not fit the definition of adware. To be adware it has to promote the use of an outside product that is paying the company for inserting an install option into their installer. A company making people aware of special deals on it's own products is not adware in any sense of the word. It does not make the free version of Avast ad supported at all. The new toolbar option (yes it is an option, not a forced install) in the free Avira does constitute being ad supported since they are being paid by another company for doing it.

Et tu Brutus

« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2011, 12:24:35 AM »
Thanks for the feedback on this "summer savings" campaign. As many of you recognized, this did represent a new way for us to share a special savings offer (although technically, it's not that new as v4.x (for those who still remember it) used the same system from time to time).

So far, the overall reception seems to be good, as many users have selected the offer. And given that we are in business and have to generate sales to keep delivering the best security software, this was a welcome response.   

Some of you asked if it will show once, or persist. For this campaign, it will show just once (let us know if you see it more than once). If this campaign made you worry we're heading the same route as AVG please rest assured that we're still very sensitive to being too aggressive in promoting our paid solutions; we seek a reasonable balance.

Someone also suggested we run some testing with non-forum users (the more casual users that represent the bulk of our customers) to discover what presentation is acceptable. Is use of the toaster prompt reasonable? How often should it present?  (we are worried it didn't show enough - it was a good offer, and it didn't give them too much time to decide). How often can we run a campaign like this? (some of you suggested 4 to 6 times a year).

Thanks again for the great feedback. We're taking it seriously.

Thanks
Vlk

So when are you changing the site to list AVAST as ADWARE and not freeware?

The GUI window was already pushing it for those of us who do not want adware on our computers. I bent for that (as I imagine others did) because of the AVAST reputation. But the popup is taking it too far, and only an idiot would imagine this isn't going to become MORE of an issue.

I installed AVAST to keep adware OFF my computer. Now AVAST *is* the malware. A darn shame.

I will look for ways to block this behavior. If it can't be done, I am looking for an alternate freeware solution. Not that you care about one person using your free program, but we know it's all about the numbers. If enough people stop using your product, that has repercussions, even if they are using the free product. You rely on users to bring paid business to you, and to be able to tell business partners, etc, that X-amount of users use AVAST... that it is #1. So it's not just about paying for the program. Free users benefit AVAST in other ways, or there wouldn't be a free (now ADWARE) version.

What a drag.  >:(

Gargamel360

« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2011, 12:26:44 AM »
I personally think that a clear NON intrusive separate "offer-ONLY" pop up (as it is now) is better than a "mixed" pop up, harder to understand or read (or more confusing), specially for international users.
Oh, you changed from full novels to short stories, at least, good ;D  ;)
There is no such thing as a NON-intrusive pop-up, imo.  Sky is blue, water is wet, pop-ups are intrusive.  That why I suggested what I did. You are not increasing intrusiveness much when the existing pop-up is already displayed at least once per-boot already.

It does not fit the definition of adware. To be adware it has to promote the use of an outside product
QFT

Et tu Brutus

« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2011, 12:29:40 AM »

It does not fit the definition of adware. To be adware it has to promote the use of an outside product that is paying the company for inserting an install option into their installer. A company making people aware of special deals on it's own products is not adware in any sense of the word. It does not make the free version of Avast ad supported at all. The new toolbar option (yes it is an option, not a forced install) in the free Avira does constitute being ad supported since they are being paid by another company for doing it.

I disagree with you 100%. When a program installed on my computer links to the internet to serve me an ad, it is adware, no matter where the ad is coming from, or what it is advertising. Adware is intrinsically undesirable and about as welcome as malware... which it can lead to all too easily, even aside from the sheer principle that I have not offered MY computer to be a billboard for advertising. When I downloaded AVAST it claimed to be FREEWARE not ADWARE.

Gargamel360

« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2011, 12:32:27 AM »
So when are you changing the site to list AVAST as ADWARE and not freeware The GUI window was already pushing it for those of us who do not want adware on our computers. I bent for that (as I imagine others did) because of the AVAST reputation. But the popup is taking it too far, and only an idiot would imagine this isn't going to become MORE of an issue. I installed AVAST to keep adware OFF my computer. Now AVAST *is* the malware. A darn shame.  I will look for ways to block this behavior. If it can't be done, I am looking for an alternate freeware solution. Not that you care about one person using your free program, but we know it's all about the numbers. If enough people stop using your product, that has repercussions, even if they are using the free product. You rely on users to bring paid business to you, and to be able to tell business partners, etc, that X-amount of users use AVAST... that it is #1. So it's not just about paying for the program. Free users benefit AVAST in other ways, or there wouldn't be a free (now ADWARE) version.
What a drag.  >:(
You are being a Diva, eat a Snickers

Et tu Brutus

« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2011, 12:41:37 AM »
Registered to throw in my 2c.

The entire point of this product is is to remove malware, including spyware, adware, viruses, and trojans. The specific behavior of adware is to get on a computer and throw pop-ups and advertisements at the user. If it's now removing adware, but then throwing pop-ups and advertisements at the user, don't you think it's only doing 3/4 of its job? It's just been demonstrated it's no longer a "one time thing" (I expect a response telling me that it's just a "two time thing").

Could not agree more, except that in my opinion it is no longer doing 3/4 of its job, but failing at it by serving me ads I do not want. And "1 time" will turn into more times, because this is a trial to see people's reactions. They will push as far as they can while maintaining as many users as they can hold on to. IOW, whatever the market tolerates.

Et tu Brutus

« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2011, 12:47:00 AM »

[/quote]
You are being a Diva, eat a Snickers

[/quote]

I am a pissed off user, and I have every right to be pissed off!

But I'll take that freakin' Snickers.... !