Author Topic: Avast(Free) dies during update. Major panic!!!!  (Read 67522 times)

momaru

Re: Avast(Free) dies during update. Major panic!!!!
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2011, 09:09:34 PM »
It is working now. Really appreciate the efficiency the avast! team has. Thank you!
BTW, I downloaded the update from the website. Didn't have time to actually try the automatic update from the program. Maybe someone else has already tried it and is successful?

Chucky500

« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2011, 09:25:05 PM »
On Asyn's "not needed", once I executed the downloaded update, I had to click the Start program button in the avast window.  That got all the shields going except the Real-time shield going.  Once I let avast!Service through the firewall, the Real-time shields went ok.  (I don't use the Silent-gaming mode.)

It would be nice to know what caused the problem for W2K users.

Thanks to the avast! team for helping to solve the problem!  And also thanks to the other users for their patience and thoughtful replies.

W2K SP4
6.0.1203 Avast
110806-1 VPS

:)

PS:  Could we perhaps, under a different thread, get the plans for Avast support of W2K?  Avast seems to be sticking with it, but I gotta wonder how much longer.

Hude666

« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2011, 09:25:29 PM »
It's alive, it's alive!  ;D  Thank you!  8)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:42:50 PM by Hude666 »

Moriarty

« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2011, 09:30:09 PM »
I've also updated my main computer using vpsupd.exe and all seems well. I've set my laptop back to auto updates (it had 1 week old definitions) and it successfully updated to 110806-1.

Many thanks to the Avast! team for fixing this (but please try not to break it again!!!).

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2011, 09:34:21 PM »
I want to say "Thank you VERY VERY... much!!!" to the whole avast-team for fixing the problem so fast!

Update was without problems.

You're really great, guys!
Big kisses from Germany  :-*  ;D  :-*

~SKY~
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

ady4um

« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »
For others still not being sure, here is the link once more:
Download it from http://www.avast.com/download-update, apply the update, reboot, then report back if necessary.

Not needed..!!!

I didn't say it was needed in ALL situations. For those that were not able to start Avast at all, the "safest" and simplest way was/is to download the VPS. There are other possibilities too, but that is the most "general" and simple instruction.

For those that were able to run Avast with some older database, the normal manual or automatic update should work, hence not needing to download the complete VPS using that link.

I won't get into other possibilities. My point was/is, if not sure or in trouble (in this context of this topic), just download using the link, apply, reboot.

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2011, 10:14:04 PM »
Custom-Scan after the update was without problems, too! ;D
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

turmoyle2000

« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2011, 10:22:11 PM »

I highly doubt this.
XP is supported until 2014. (Longer than Vista, btw.)

Sorry for OT.

Not true. Mainstream support for Vista ends in 2012, but extended support continues until 2017. Extended support for XP ends in 2014.

newus

« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2011, 10:24:31 PM »

Well here is why we are stuck with Windows 2000,

#1, This economy we are in, is really in severe issues, no one is going to be able to UPGRADE their computer, because it would cost more, and now word the US Credit Rating has dropped, so that means any supply going into our country will be more expensive, and now we are on the verge of a halt in computer sales to most who don't have the money.

#2, Windows XP and Vista have many problems with their OS that both affects security and stabability and currently to this date most Windows Vista and XP systems are targeted by malware, a sign that is quite grim by most standards,

and #3, most higher up anti-virus programs no longer support 2000 and already are outsourcing XP within a few months, something that again goes back to #1, economic issues.

I hope this may partially make the reason where this issue is going at.

Are you implying XP/Vista have MORE security/stability problems vs Win2k? At least XP has MS updates compared to Win2k.

i_hate_saturdays

« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2011, 10:39:17 PM »
ALRIGHT DUDES !!!!!!!   

i just updated my avast the manual way on my admin account and restarted my PC and am EXTREMELY happy to say avaST is up and running again :) :) :) :) :) :)

thanks to the guys who fixed it  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2011, 10:42:50 PM »
i just updated my avast the manual way on my admin account and restarted my PC and am EXTREMELY happy to say avaST is up and running again :) :) :) :) :) :)

Glad to hear that.
And please, next time don't swear that much. ;)
Thanks..!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Hude666

« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2011, 10:46:57 PM »
I have to say, i'm impressed how avast-team reacted this issue. Great job and keep up to good work! :)

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2011, 11:03:22 PM »
... i'm impressed how avast-team reacted this issue.
That's the difference to the "Umbrella-Guys"! ;D

Roly

« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2011, 12:03:05 AM »
Thanks Moriarty!
Downloading update manually for w2k did the trick for me ,Thanks mate!!!
Saved a sh#tload of time & anxiety. (I did uninstall and download latest
version avast main program, b4 doing the manual update.)
Thought it was my system cos I haven't done fresh install of W2k for 3yrs
which is usually too long.
Bravo for whoever discovered the fix.
BTW, how do you disable auto update?

bb2011

« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2011, 01:44:41 AM »
Downloaded the latest file from the download link in this thread, run the file vpsupd.exe and get an error message,

setup.ovr - Application error
The exception unknown software exception (0xc06d007e) occurred in the application at location 0x7c59bcb1.

clicking OK or Cancel then gives the message 'VPS database is already up to date'

Done the usual reboot & same story next time round.

Update within the program fails 'Failed to update. The avast! service is not running'. Attempting to start the avast service in control panel gives an error too.

Worth doing a uninstall / install??