Author Topic: WebShield blocks internet access  (Read 3123 times)

curfew2

WebShield blocks internet access
« on: August 31, 2011, 12:15:12 AM »
Recently avast has been blocking internet traffic through the web browser (ie or firefox). I'm able to ping and email seems to work ok but browsing the internet results in the browser just trying to resolve the URL endlessly. The problem can be fixed temporarily by disabling webshield and re-enabling it.

PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium
Avast says it version 6.0.1203

So far I've tried:
-Running norton uninstaller
-Removing all things even remotely related to other AV
-Resetting winsock
-flushing dns
-Uninstalling Avast completely and reinstalling
-Checking for TEMP filed (as mentioned in another post)

Is there anything left to try?

Thank you.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: WebShield blocks internet access
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 12:49:46 AM »
do you have a firewall ?

hubert.gabrys

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 09:58:15 AM »
I've the same problem since yesterday. Turning off windows firewall doesn't do anything. Only turning off webshield works.

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 10:37:48 AM »
Try:

Avast main GUI -> web shield (activate it) -> EXPERT settings -> "...well known browsers only". Save and reboot.

If it doesn't actually solve the problem, please revert back that setting to its previou condition.

hubert.gabrys

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 11:55:05 AM »
Didn't help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 01:40:11 PM »
I've the same problem since yesterday. Turning off windows firewall doesn't do anything. Only turning off webshield works.

Essentially the windows firewall shouldn't get in the way, depends on your OS (not mentioned), XP has ZERO outbound protection, Vista & win7's Firewall has outbound protection, but is disabled by default. So unless you enabled outbound protection they shouldn't get in the way either.

You don't say what you have done to try and resolve the problem as the Original Poster did ?
This saves us repeating things you have tried and shows us what you might not have tried.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security