Author Topic: Battlefield 3 and Avast Problem  (Read 43107 times)

Subspace

Battlefield 3 and Avast Problem
« on: October 27, 2011, 05:32:46 PM »
Their is a problem/conflict with Avast's web shield and Battlefield 3's Battlelog. The issue is that Battlelog (Server platform) won't update properly if Avast's web shield is active and no solution is available other than disabling it, which could be a security risk. Adding Battlelog to the exceptions list doesn't work and enabling the "scan traffic from well-known browser processes only" doesn't work either.

Is there a solution for this? I find Avast to be a good antivirus but now it seems incomplete with web shield disabled. Also note that a huge amount of users of Avast who are playing BF3 is experiencing this issue and their is simply no solution atm.

Tburns65

Re: Battlefield 3 and Avast Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 06:12:48 PM »
I have the exact same problem and I hope there is a resolution on the way. I would love to enjoy the games full potential.

It is mainly a problem with the battle log feature. They make you launch the games from a web browser. Many of the party feature will only work if avast real time shields are disabled.

ady4um

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 07:25:43 PM »
Was this situation happening before?

Try adding AvastSvc.exe to firewall rules?

Or delete firewall rules and reboot. Then you may need to re-create the firewall rules again.

Please report back.

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 08:24:14 PM »
There are numerous other Web Shield settings to change.  You could try turning off Intelligent Stream Scanning.  You could try and find what to exclude from scanning. Lower Heuristic sensitivity, etc.

It would be good to figure the cause of this, of course.  But disabling the Web Shield for the specific purpose of playing Battlefield?  It would be a stretch to even say this is "dangerous", its what I would consider a acceptable work around.....mind you, just the Web Shield, not all protection.  You will still have multiple things protecting like the File System Shield and Autosandbox.  Thats not to say the Web Shield is all fluff or anything, but it is made to guard your browsing, and while playing Battlefield, you wont be browsing sites.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 01:34:10 AM »
Which is your firewall?
Which was your older antivirus before avast?
The best things in life are free.

Dommelrbb

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 09:47:48 PM »
Two topics about this issue. Perhaps lock one of them?

Anyhow, see my post about the issue in the other thread at http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=87326.0

ashtp

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 12:39:59 PM »
no matter what combination of settings I try the only way to get battlelog to work correctly is to disable Web Shield  Real Time Shield.

I am using the latest version of Avast 6.0.1289

damnificus

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 04:38:41 PM »
I, and another friend that is using Avast, are having the same problem too.
We are forced to disable the web shield in order to play correctly.  :(

We are using the latest version of Avast free.

ady4um

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 05:00:15 PM »
Avast main GUI -> web shield -> EXPERT settings -> "well known browsers only".

Uzerrr

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 01:29:10 PM »
I've got the very same problem, I have to turn off shields to get invites from my friends in Battlelog for Battlefield3.

ady4um

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »
There are already several topics about this, but only 2 reports giving feedback. One report says that changing "well known browsers only" setting works, and the other saying that it is not enough.

More users simply posting EXACTLY the same, without any feedback nor additional info, is not going to help anyone.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 04:05:30 PM »
..well known browsers does work here :)

What additional information is appreciated?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 04:08:06 PM by S@uDepp »

ady4um

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 04:47:36 PM »
..well known browsers does work here :)

What additional information is appreciated?

Thank you for reporting.

Well, for those saying that the specific setting is not enough, I guess they should describe step by step what they already tried and what not. What fail in their tests. Have they rebooted? Have they set web shield to be active or is it still disabled? Any other security tools (currently installed, and that were installed in the past and they THINK were already uninstalled)?

The possible info needed depends on the reports. More users reporting in detail, then would be easier to track down the problem for those that the specific setting is not working yet.

Clearly, if changing that setting is working for some users but not for others, then either some other Avast setting is involved too, or something else is interfering (re-create firewall rules, drivers, rebooting, other Avast shields active / disabled... ).

The fact that several users simply post the exact same complaint even without reading the previous posts and links offering no new info shows also a simple possibility (no offense to anyone, just a possible fact): "PEBCAC".

Uzerrr

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 07:05:07 PM »
And you are dev? That you are talking about proper way to post feedback?
If I see a Dev posting here with information about steps I should take and logs I should post I will do it.
And I believe that it is: PEBKAC - Keyboard and Chair.

And yes, it is problem with Avast. I tried Eset trial and everything works ok with battlelog and it's plugin. What worries me it the fact that Avast doesn't show anything about blocking any behaviour or anything dangerous happening on my PC. Nothing, not a single warning, just blocking.
And I've check that if I stop shields it begun to work on all browsers I have on my PC: IE, Opera, FF, Chrome.
And it is not a problem with my PC Tools Firewall. I've tried to turn it off and nothing. My friend with Avast and Windows7 built-in firewall got the very same problem, so it is problem with Avast, nothing else.

Gargamel360

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 08:13:51 PM »
Yes, its somehow Web Shield related.  That much has been narrowed down.  And its probably connected to how they recently extended the scope of what it scans, thats why there is an option for not scanning anything except well known browser processes, put in place (smartly) in anticipation of possible problems like this that could arise.  Many have reported that ticking that option on fixed whatever problems they where having. 

The ones that it didn't work for?  As I mentioned previously, disabling the Web Shield for the specific purpose of playing Battlefield isn't that big of a risk.  Imo. 

Since the Web Shield is an Avast! thing, other AVs don't try to do what it does, naturally most wont give you any hassle as they don't try to scan your http traffic.