Author Topic: Why Is No One Answering Support Tickets?  (Read 5749 times)

TomTech71

Why Is No One Answering Support Tickets?
« on: March 01, 2012, 05:56:06 PM »
I have placed 2 Support Tickets This Week And Have Heard Nothing Back From Either. What Gives?

I Have A Client Who Has No Antivirus Now Due To The Mess With 6 And 7. I Submitted A Ticket Which Included The Error Log From The Failed 7 Install Attempt.

Not Sure It Really Matters Though. As Bad As 7 Seems To Be, I Think I Shall NOT Recommend Avast Anymore And Investigate An Alternative Brand To Recommend The Client Install.

Sounds To Me Like Avast Played Microsoft And Pushed A Product Before It Was Ready.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Why Is No One Answering Support Tickets?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 06:05:09 PM »
Personally I would suggest you enter the problem here or use the forum search as I would imagine it is unlikely they are the first to encounter the problem.

The support tickets work on a oldest first, some are being accessed to seek an answer to the ticket unfortunately that resets the time. This could account for the delay, but shouldn't excuse it, they need to sort that out so that the creation date is the overriding order not last accessed/updated.

I'm an avast user and can't speak for avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TomTech71

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 06:22:56 PM »
Easy enough...

I have a client (to far away for me to work wih personally), who had the 6 lock-up problem. They were smart enough to uninstall 6 to try and reinstall, not realizing 7 would be installed.

7 Fails to install, instead, throwing a very long log-file on the screen.

I suggested ASWClear in safe-mode. They did that. No help. Version 7 will not install.

Log-File Attached.

claprood

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 07:33:09 PM »

TomTech71

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 07:36:51 PM »
That one will not work if there is actually no program installed....

I did use that on a couple of machines this week, including a Win7 that was getting Avast related BSOD the day all this mess hit the fan. Both times it said I did not have the problem it addresses.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 08:00:26 PM »
tOM tECH 77, tODAY wE hAVE uPDATED aSWcLEAR uTILITY oN oUR wEB sITE. pLEASE tRY iT tO cOMPLETELY uINSTALL aVAST7 fROM tHE sYSTEM. iNSTALLATIOn sHOUd cOMPLETe tHEn wITHOUt aNy pROBLEMs. iF nOt wRITe hERe pLEASe.

TomTech71

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 08:12:48 PM »
Before I bother the client:

I would believe it's V6 that did not uninstall correctly...Will this work on that as well?

TomTech71

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 08:15:41 PM »
Actually, with things going the way it has...Will this completely clean all traces of ANY Avast from the system?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 08:23:30 PM »
The aswClear.exe has uninstall for all versions, avast4, avast5, avast6 and avast7, they can be selected from the drop down list.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:25:10 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TomTech71

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 08:32:18 PM »
Thanks....

I have sent this info to the client, recommending they clean V6, then V7, then try an install of V7.

Shall post the results when I get word back.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 08:58:54 PM »
You're welcome.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 09:36:52 PM »
Lukor was in Bellingham last week, he could've stopped by your place and fix it :D.
Anyway, I couldn't find your support tickets (probably you used different email/nickname) so I can't comment it.

Jack 1000

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 09:49:51 PM »
The aswClear.exe has uninstall for all versions, avast4, avast5, avast6 and avast7, they can be selected from the drop down list.

When I had a problem with Avast 7, I know that I had previous number versions on the system, so I just went through and uninstalled all of them.  The uninstall utility found fragments from Avast 4-6, because in past years, I always just used the GUI updater.  Since doing BOTH Add/Remove Programs to get Avast 7 out, AND removing all Avast versions, using the Avast uninstall utility, I got a new download of Avast 7, and it now works fine.

On Windows XP I had to enter Safe Mode as an Owner, rather than Administrator, because selecting Administrator did not show the Avast Uninstall utility on the Desktop.

Jack

sleepdeprived

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 10:06:09 PM »
For those who are tech support people, the person I work with customized my computer and has been great. He installed a program on it that allows him to connect remotely. It was fascinating watching him work on my end of it. And I was able to cooperate because I knew how to disable all the avast shields and firewalls. Two other times he was able to help me with a problem. Only once did I have to take the computer to the shop.

My son in law also works as a computer tech person for a group of hospitals. He is going to install a remote program on my computer so I don't have to pay for support again. It took my tech support agent an hour and a half to straighten up the mess a windows driver install made, and avast was making worse because it kept stopping him from working on the probem. But it was worth it to be able to start working with my computer again.

I'd recommend anyone who has a support person they trust to install one of those remote programs.
Peggy

TomTech71

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 10:29:52 PM »
Actually, I'm in Bellingham....The Client is south east, East of Sedro Woolley....Out in the sticks as it were...It's actually my Sister...But a 'Client' in these situations...I'm a Network Administrator, and all around Technical Troubleshooter...

Anyway...She reports back: "Same Results". I had her do an aswClean of both 6 and 7. Still will not install 7.

Time to figure out an alternative to Avast. She cannot keep running without protection. The only one I can think of that comes close to Avast is AVG, though I've never experienced that one.