Author Topic: Bad Greeting  (Read 6524 times)

rdmaloyjr

Bad Greeting
« on: March 03, 2012, 08:11:07 PM »
I had been trying out Outpost Security Suite Free when Avast! Free Antivirus 7.0.1407 was released.

When I downloaded 1407 I was greeted with a BSOD followed by the installer booting my computer into safe mode then running check disc.

When 1407 was finally installed and rebooted I had to click start and fix.

After it was running  I was unable to register it as it was in trial mode demanding a license for the Pro version.  ???

I uninstalled and put Outpost Security Suite Free back on my machine.

Outpost Security Suite Free is very lite, fast and provides great security for my system.

The only weakness is the firewall, it's not user friendly. ::)

Avast!'s BSOD makes me afraid to try it again.  I'll wait and see....

Offline Vapor

Re: Bad Greeting
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 01:38:08 AM »
I am no longer user of avast Pro, but I would like to give you my 5 cents if you don’t mind.
I have been avast pro user for over 7 or 8 years with conjunction of Outpost Firewall Pro and that combination has worked for me great for most part at least. I have 6 Machines 3 XP SP3 and 3 Win 7x64 in which 1 XP = avast Pro + OFP and 1 of the Win7=avast Pro + OFP, on rest of them OSS Pro
Now I have never compared the PC performance between all the PC’s until while ago, I’ve always liked OSS, but avast has a good reputation as well and has been doing great with OFP so I left it at that. When one of my machines asked me to update avast 6 to version 7 I did and of course there was a problem so I reloaded my ISO of the PC with privies version of avast 6 and everything was back to normal. But this is the thing I have updated one of the OSS Pro to the latest version and let me tell you, I could see the difference in my PC responsiveness. Now don’t get me wrong I understand that nothing is perfect and the developers of avast working hard to fix most if not all issues that the latest version has cost many people, but that was enough for me, I have switched to OSS Pro to all my machines and I’m not looking back to get back avast for long time if ever, even thou I still had 298 days of subscription on 2 licenses of avast.
OSS Pro is not perfect but the latest version 7.5.2 truly did the trick and I love the way all my PC’s perform. I’m not saying switch to Outpost, but until you give it try and get used to it you won’t know if you missing something that fits your preference or not.
Now when comes to firewall!!! Well you have to do a research and I will tell you I have tried a quite a few different firewalls before I’ve decided purchase OFP, in my opinion there is nothing as good as Outpost firewall, # 1anti-leak protection, customizable and once you get used to the settings and interface I m sure you will like it a lot and won’t look back on anything else.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 02:50:50 AM »
Vapor,

Thank you for your reply.

If Outpost fw was completely user friendly it would be ok.

But as it is now, ZA 10 is King of the hill.

I've been a long time user of ZA and it has served me well.

BTW, the free version of Outpost fw doesn't have the attack plugin.

Anti-spoofing is in the attack plugin, so the free Outpost fw doesn't

have anti-spoofing protection.  But Norton DNS should take care of that.

The free ZA 10 fw does have anti-spoofing, but it has to be enabled. ;)

Offline Vapor

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 03:06:25 AM »
Yes, you use what works for you. I have tried Zone Alarm I think twice and just simply didn’t work for me. I think it’s also physiological set of mind, once you get used to something it’s hard to switch to something else. To be honest I have never tried or installed free version of outpost either OFP or OSS so I don’t even know what is there and not. When comes to DNS, well that’s when the anti-leak comes in to place and not many standalone firewall software can resist the temptation of been tricked by sophisticated software and leak to the source that you don’t want it to go. I just found that Suite especially this version works so nice rather than separate firewall and antivirus.

akama1

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 04:07:35 AM »
i think avast is conflicting with your outpost free..... if you want good firewalls... get comodo :) just advicing

bioxx750

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 09:16:12 AM »
i think avast is conflicting with your outpost free..... if you want good firewalls... get comodo :) just advicing

+1 for Comodo, the new version (7.5.2) of OPF has compatibility issues with several AVs.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:27:42 AM by bioxx750 »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 05:33:42 PM »

+1 for Comodo, the new version (7.5.2) of OPF has compatibility issues with several AVs.

akama1 & bioxx750,

I would surf the Internet without any fw before I would use comodo!!!

Outpost & ZA are much better than comodo.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 05:49:14 PM »
i think avast is conflicting with your outpost free.....<snip>

I'm not using avast.  I'm using Outpost Security Suite Free.

I'm unable to edit my signature, everytime I try I get can't have more than three lines.

I don't have more than three lines. ??? ::)

HighWalker

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 05:50:22 PM »
Comodo is good for those who really wish to lock down thier systems.

It isnt for those that just want a firewall to install and forget about.

Setting comodo firewall to custom and disableing the defense+ and sandbox will give you an alert on anything that tries to connect in or out.

Well atleaste it did catch outgoing connections before avast 7 circumvented it, but i guess a conflict was bound to happen sooner or later between the two.

Maybe i'll give OSS a try if avast doesnt fix the issue between comodo and version 7, plus then i won't have to worry about if the next version will break something else.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 05:53:10 PM »

akama1 & bioxx750,

I would surf the Internet without any fw before I would use comodo!!!

Outpost & ZA are much better than comodo.
you must be joking, right?........comodo fw is top notch.......I only trust and always found three fw convenient.......comodo fw, online armour and privatefirewall........

You must be joking!

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 06:09:40 PM »
Comodo is for those without scruples.

HighWalker,

Do some research on comodo.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 07:37:03 PM »
HighWalker,

If you or anyone else wants to use Outpost Security Suite Free until avast! 7 is perfected, I suggest using Norton DNS to stand in the gap for what is

missing in Outpost Security Suite Free's fw.  (anti-spoofing) 

https://dns.norton.com/dnsweb/dnsForHome.do

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 07:40:16 AM »
I'm unable to edit my signature, everytime I try I get can't have more than three lines.
I don't have more than three lines. ??? ::)

You have more than 3 lines..!!
Empty lines are counted as well. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 07:51:57 AM »
Well, Outpost does have some sort of HIPS function as far as i remember so the culprit for BSOD could be Outpost blocking avast! files during installation and then it BSOD'ed because it wasn't registered or installed properly.

Can you share with us what was written on the BSOD? What module caused it? You can also check Event Viewer for this info. It should be there.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 12:53:21 PM »
Thanks RejZoR to bring back to topic.
It's not welcome a fight about which is better, even less about firewalls ::)
The best things in life are free.