Author Topic: New AVAST 8!  (Read 192742 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: New AVAST 8!
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2013, 02:05:11 AM »
In the middle of running a FULL SCAN. In last rel ver of AVAST! (7.xxx), the values for TESTED FILES/FOLDERS were properly updated during the scan. In V8, the FOLDERS value is "stuck" at 1 though MANY folders (and over 14GB worth of data) have been scanned at this point .

-----------------------------------
WIN XP sp3 | DELL DIMSNSION 4600 | 1.2 G RAM

Yes, this is because of the new option "Speed up scanning by reading files in the order they are store in disk" (scan settings -> Performance page). What this basically does it that it doesn't care about the folder structure - jumping back and forth between various folders. So counting the number of folders scanned so far is kind of useless - and thus, we don't display it during the scan.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

jcoltrane

« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2013, 02:32:19 AM »
VLK: Thanks, that wasn't obvious.

I noticed as the scan got near the end (~last 2% or so), the the folder count appeared as a value other than 1 (~7730 in my case). I guess it has something to do with it then knowing how many folders there are at that point.

SamHui

« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2013, 07:04:06 AM »
Hi, I did a search and didn't find and matching results.  After updating to v8, the "Scan from Explorer" context menu option, has the "Test Whole Files" selected under sensitivity and it won't let me disable it.  When I disable it and click ok, it goes back to being checked when I open the settings again.  Is anyone else having this problem? This is causing some large files to be scanned very slowly.  Thanks.

greenhatch

« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2013, 09:41:19 AM »
Very pleased to note that Avast 8 script shield covers Chrome browser efficiently at last - hopefully it will continue on future Chrome updates (v26 onwards)!  :)

sedina

« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2013, 09:55:13 AM »
aswclear has not been updated at avast.com

Obtain v8 aswclear from here. -> http://files.avast.com/test5beta/aswclear.exe

Please use this link - http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/aswclear.exe

thanks,
pavel

Defence

« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2013, 09:59:08 AM »
How can ı stop software updater default?

crofty59

« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2013, 10:03:08 AM »
Updated through GUI from RTM 8.0.1841 to final version 8.0.1842 No problems so far.

Cheers

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2013, 10:09:40 AM »
In the middle of running a FULL SCAN. In last rel ver of AVAST! (7.xxx), the values for TESTED FILES/FOLDERS were properly updated during the scan. In V8, the FOLDERS value is "stuck" at 1 though MANY folders (and over 14GB worth of data) have been scanned at this point .

Yes, this is because of the new option "Speed up scanning by reading files in the order they are store in disk" (scan settings -> Performance page). What this basically does it that it doesn't care about the folder structure - jumping back and forth between various folders. So counting the number of folders scanned so far is kind of useless - and thus, we don't display it during the scan.

Well, that's not fully correct ;)
The folders are actually processed with this new option as well - e.g. to check for malicious alternate data streams.
It's just that in the current sorting they are processed last, after all the files - so you'll see "0 folders" till the very end of the scan, and then suddenly all the folders are done/counted.

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #128 on: March 01, 2013, 10:31:09 AM »
Thank you for Avast Free 8.0.1482

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2013, 10:34:07 AM »
How can ı stop software updater default?
I've unchecked it during 'Custom' install on a customer's machine today so I presume you can remove it via 'Change' option.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

gtmark1

« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2013, 10:49:20 AM »
Sorry kids but install with caution. I have 3 older (circa 1-1998 and 2-2002) computers.  2 of the 3 are now having problems booting.  I am currently in safe-mode on both trying to decide what to do.  System restore somewhat helped but  my registration with V7-free was eliminated. I am now considered to be within the 14 day trial period of V7 Pro.  I'm afraid to turn this computer off (the only one working) for fear of something happening .

Turboman

« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2013, 11:11:25 AM »
Updated AIS to 8 with no problems so far on Vista Home Premium 32bit.
However, the free version on my other pc showed a pop-up that it couldn't find/run a dll with a name something like aimsh.dll, can't remember exactly as I just clicked ok and it carried on.(I'd appreciate some feedback on this issue as I'd hate to think that it wasn't working as it should.)
I can't undertand why the free version shows a white background instead of black. Maybe something to do with the dll anomaly.
I agree that the GUI looks very "Bland" as mentioned earlier and I think smiley faces should only be used on supermarket staff uniforms. It looks really 'tacky'.
Time will tell if all is well 'Under the bonnet'.
As with all updates, Fingers Crossed!!  :-\

If this goes t**s up I'm going back to AVG for the free version.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:15:22 AM by Turboman »

tkt

« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2013, 11:12:44 AM »
1. avast free registration button not working properly
2. https connection not monitoring by network or web shield
3.i do not fined add blocker

enigmista63

« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2013, 11:16:03 AM »
Hello my license for 3 pc and avast internet security 7, I wanted to know if I can use it to avast premier or at least if you have an offer for license holders if I have to change and do not use more 'than at present. thanks

nithin.2spans160

« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2013, 11:56:03 AM »
Hi, i have installed avast 8.0.1482, i have some problem with behavioral script and web shield, behavioral script turns my screen black after login page and web shield only allows some site, even avast forum is not allowed!!!
so i stopped both, hope to have fix in next update, remaining everything is best!! I love Avast...  :) :D 8) :-*

Sorry i forget to mention that i use windows 8 pro x86..

I have already asked you to report bugs here:
feedback.avast.com

have you done this or not?

Yes bro, I have reported there too but no response yet! :'(
I think this forum is more active than that ;D :D It gives more solutions ;) ;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:06:19 PM by nithin.2spans160 »