Poll

As we have just released our new major version (V8), we would love to hear your feedback. So, how did we do?

It's great. I love it.
191 (28.4%)
So far so good. It is an improvement over V7 but we will see.
165 (24.5%)
About the same as V7
50 (7.4%)
I don't like the new version. Where can I get the download links for V7?
167 (24.8%)
It's rubbish.
100 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?  (Read 233749 times)

tlmazek

Re: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?
« Reply #210 on: March 10, 2013, 08:33:11 PM »
I like the software updating.

I find the new interface more confusing (and think the tile thing is ugly and stupid - giant tiles for what purpose?)  but it won't stop me from using the program. I will eventually figure out where things are - and then it will all change, just like the grocery store.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #211 on: March 11, 2013, 12:30:59 AM »
Still good here.

No problems at all.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

the_doc

« Reply #212 on: March 11, 2013, 12:51:46 AM »
it sucks

upgraded from version 7 - restarted computer
system started up and I logged in
popup showed asking if I wanted to install Chrome (why?) - the popup quickly disappeared and Chrome was installed (I didn't even get a chance to deselect)
Chrome started and Chrome's page crashed (this is why I don't install this crap)
then my email client started to check my email (automatically configured to start up and check email) - and there were problems with all of my email provider's certificates

so anyways 5 minutes into Avast's maligned experiment and my opinion is that it is total garbage
thankfully I run a program to COMPLETELY undo any changes that crapware makes to my system and I'm now back to v7

don't know what you guys were smoking (did you even do testing?), but your v8 product is trash

the_doc

« Reply #213 on: March 11, 2013, 12:59:04 AM »
just for shits and giggles, I reinstalled v8
and the exact same problems occurred (chrome automatically installed without my consent, chrome crashed, and there were certificate errors with my email client)

I don't have time to waste with other testing - this "product" is unacceptable

back to v7 in less than 30 seconds - nicely undoes all this crapware's damage

true indian

« Reply #214 on: March 11, 2013, 12:53:50 PM »
Guys,as you see many people here are having no issues with avast v8 stop bashing it as trash..if you have had issues please make seperate topics in the forum to get help and there can be no perfect stable security software and I have avast v8 on all my client's machines working flawlessly.  :)

Tarantula

« Reply #215 on: March 11, 2013, 01:03:49 PM »
Since you have AV premier...well, AV free became rubbish! You MUST include "Runs risky programs safely, Blocks hacker attacks" in the free version and remove the premier version completely. Or say good bye to Your customers. Most of them.

true indian

« Reply #216 on: March 11, 2013, 01:05:59 PM »
I am not running the premier version but the version on all my client and hom machines and they are running fine and even free version has autosandbox.

true indian

« Reply #217 on: March 11, 2013, 01:08:25 PM »
its a better use interface but i cant get program updates or version updates, everything just freezes when i click update button in the maintenance tab

Try the below first.

- avast! Virus Definitions Update - Manual Download VPS Update (virus definitions, vpsupd.exe, approx 78.4 MB). - Save the file to your hard disk, locate where you saved it and double click it and that should carry out the virus definitions update. If you have avast 8, the one you want is the one for avast versions 5/6/7 it is the same for 8.

Tarantula

« Reply #218 on: March 11, 2013, 01:10:08 PM »
I am not running the premier version but the version on all my client and hom machines and they are running fine and even free version has autosandbox.

You basically say that Avast! team is publishing false info on their website. "Good".

spywar

« Reply #219 on: March 11, 2013, 01:21:18 PM »

You basically say that Avast! team is publishing false info on their website. "Good".
There is a difference between "Autosandboxing of suspicious files based on some settings under FSS" and "SandBox".

spywar

Tarantula

« Reply #220 on: March 11, 2013, 01:26:43 PM »

There is a difference between "Autosandboxing of suspicious files based on some settings under FSS" and "SandBox".

spywar

What's the difference? Where to read about it?

true indian

« Reply #221 on: March 11, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »
https://blog.avast.com/2012/03/20/autosandbox-why-are-you-annoying-me/

A manual sandbox is dependent on the user so if the user wants to sandbox the file manually he can do it but with autosandbox avast automatically puts suspicious files in the sandbox for analysis.

spywar

« Reply #222 on: March 11, 2013, 01:39:40 PM »
https://blog.avast.com/2012/03/20/autosandbox-why-are-you-annoying-me/

A manual sandbox is dependent on the user so if the user wants to sandbox the file manually he can do it but with autosandbox avast automatically puts suspicious files in the sandbox for analysis.
Thanks, hope it helps for others ...

spywar

Tarantula

« Reply #223 on: March 11, 2013, 02:06:42 PM »
Thanks. Have a nice day/evening!

terry russell

« Reply #224 on: March 11, 2013, 02:23:07 PM »
I have had no problems with avast apart from it killed a computer by trying to do too much.
One some computers here it is fine
One I only just managed to get it back back to booting windows after a week.
No Safemode, no lastknowngood, no system restore.
I looks like the additional updates module may have been the issue, so problems could be varied and  difficult to trace to the cause.
Software will have problems, the difference is if problems get fixed, or the damage is limited.

Users don't want to have to be experts in a constantly changing utility service. They have better things to do so they pay for products so they don't have to. They just want it to work.

Saying it is 'fine for me' doesn't help those with problems when an antivirus update causes as many problems as a virus and leaves a computer useless as far as the average user.

It makes people wary of any updates.
Do you feel lucky? can you do without this computer for days or a week until someone can fix it?