Poll

Do you want avast become an anti-spyware software?

Yes
Never at all.
No (I'd like layered defense)
No (I'd rather use other application)

Author Topic: Do you want avast become an anti-spyware software?  (Read 13644 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Do you want avast become an anti-spyware software?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 05:35:59 PM »
Well, I'm not sure what you want to hear ;)
I believe avast! would be able to detect spyware - actually, it already does (some). I don't know if any spyware-specific functions are necessary (i.e. functions that would be of no use for ordinary viruses/worms).

The "only" thing to do would be to complete the thread database...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 05:44:56 PM »
I believe avast! would be able to detect spyware - actually, it already does (some).

We know... We want an enhancement of this.

I don't know if any spyware-specific functions are necessary (i.e. functions that would be of no use for ordinary viruses/worms).

But the majority of them are already done into avast antivirus and avast cleaner...  ::)

The "only" thing to do would be to complete the thread database...

In fact, if you're talking about the VPS, yes, the most important thing  8)
The best things in life are free.

o2xygen

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2005, 12:14:58 PM »
I voted Yes but with caution...

As far as spyware is concerned, avast detects the most dangerous ones... If the antispyware thing integrated into avast will be something good... It will appeal to a wide range of people, so more avast users...
However, it is best if the adware definitions are bundled with the virus definitions and the adware detection will be integrated within the standard shield process... This way i believe the computer performance will not be affected... But keep in mind that alwil will have to cope with something new that is not so familiar with... I mean there are, how many, 17 years of happy virus detection...
let alwil do what thinks its best

As for the registry, I would vote a No... Because, is it really necessary? Again, it is something that doesn't have direct connection with viruses...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2005, 01:02:46 PM »
As for the registry, I would vote a No... Because, is it really necessary? Again, it is something that doesn't have direct connection with viruses...

The registry has a direct connection with virtually all viruses and malware as most of them create registry entries so they are run on start-up, etc. so stop them creating registry entries, reduce the potential.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2005, 02:44:00 PM »

I wouldn't say that because it's actually completely untrue... as DavidR said before, most of them create registry entries so they can be run on start-up. It's always better to prevent than to heal.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2005, 03:08:43 PM »
But keep in mind that alwil will have to cope with something new that is not so familiar with... I mean there are, how many, 17 years of happy virus detection...
let alwil do what thinks its best.

I think they're able to improve.
Microsoft is buying an antivirus company. Besides of antispyware application, maybe on Longhorn will have 'antivirus' protection with Windows.
Are the antivirus company prepaired for the 'competition' with the big one?

Well, after David and Sasha said...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

o2xygen

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2005, 10:09:05 PM »
well in this case, avast should scan the startup registry entries...  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2005, 10:16:56 PM »
well in this case, avast should scan the startup registry entries... :)
Registry entries in themselves aren't a problem, they aren't the infection. avast! already scans files that are loaded at start-up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security