Author Topic: Disable/uninstall Safe Price  (Read 149171 times)

Scratt

Re: Disable/uninstall Safe Price
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 12:37:39 AM »
By bar I mean the Safe Price bar that appears at the top of the browser screen, but below the menus etc.  I can't check now, as once disabled there seems no way to enable again!!  From what I remember there was a circle icon on the left which did nothing, and two icons on the right - a question mark, and an X.  The x only offered to close for a certain time, but the question mark brought up another black screen with some info and a big button asking to continue, but there was a tiny link to disable in the bottom LHS.
This was FF 27 on Windows 7 pro 64.

Paul_D

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 01:48:10 AM »
Just disable the AOS extension.

Offline Scott_0101

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 01:54:55 AM »

As was pointed out in post 11 in this thread, Avast has said that because of a bug, the extension *cannot* be disabled in FF vers 27.

Paul_D

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 02:32:43 AM »

As was pointed out in post 11 in this thread, Avast has said that because of a bug, the extension *cannot* be disabled in FF vers 27.
Well, they're wrong. I have enabled/disabled it a few times this week.

Edit: In fact I have just disabled it again between this original post and the edit.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 02:35:19 AM by Paul_D »

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 04:23:51 AM »

Post #11 indicates that the AOS cannot be "removed" from Firefox 27.  There never was a problem enabling/disabling it.
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

Paul_D

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 05:29:06 AM »
I can't for the life of me figure out how to disable or uninstall Safe Price. The two previous posts on the subject do not provide the answer. Please help me get rid of it before I have to get rid of Avast altogether.
SafePrice is part of AOS, and can be turned off in the AOS settings menu.

But the fly in the ointment is AOS has a bug which has disabled the Settings button in FF27. There is a workaround in the following thread. Initial post and first response. Paste the link posted by Asyn into Firefox.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=147102.0

Offline sschriver

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 06:45:26 AM »
I'm really frustrated with this popup.  I don't have it listed in my Chrome Plugins, and the only thing I have in Extensions is avast! Online Security 9.0.2013.75, with the ability to disable it.

I've been using the free Avast for years, and decided to buy the Pro and put it on all five of our computers.  The free version never had a popup, but since I've installed the pay version, I now have a popup that drives me nuts???  How does that even make sense?

It looks as though I only have the choice to enable or disable Avast Online Security, but....I just paid for it, so it doesn't make sense to disable the protection.  But from what I understand, I need to disable the protection I just bought in order to get rid of the popup.

Do I have that right?

Mark12547

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 06:49:17 AM »
At least turn off the "Safe Price" option through the settings or AOS.

First time I saw "Safe Price" I was looking for a particular movie in Blu-ray on amazon.com. The "Safe price" suggested a eBay vendor selling the DVD, a vendor I just happen to have never heard of, and an eBay auction of CDs (not even offering the movie in any form).

Offline sschriver

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 06:28:38 PM »
I have the option to turn the whole Avast system off or turn it on.  It doesn't give me an option to turn off components of it. 

I have looked through everything on Chrome and in the Avast settings, but can't find anything that even refers to Safe Price.

This is incredibly frustrating.  I'm wondering if it is possible to get my money back and go back to the free version?  Does anyone know if that is possible?

I use an ultrabook that maxes out at 4 mb of ram.  When I have my online store up and my shipping program to process my orders, for some reason Safe Price pops up, as though I'm going to be looking for comparison prices that will be better than my own store.  When it does that, everything freezes.  I don't know what is causing that, but it is making my workflow turn into hell.

In the past year that I've had my ultrabook, everything has been working great.  The only thing I've changed in the past three months is moving from free Avast to Avast Pro.  So, I'm blaming it on Safe Price.

Paul_D

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 06:34:19 PM »
AOS (including SafePrice) is in the free version as well. So you're wrong on that count.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 07:07:22 PM by Paul_D »

Offline sschriver

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 08:00:19 PM »
I never had a single popup in any of my browsers in the five years I've used free Avast until I downloaded Avast Pro yesterday.  Take that however you choose.

davisj314

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 06:40:55 PM »
I've had Avast for a while, but encountered the Safe Price issue for the first time this morning. For those still having problems with it on Chrome, open your settings, click Extensions, then under avast! Online Security click "Options". Scroll down to the last option "SafePrice" and uncheck the box. This should solve your problem.

fillup

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 01:49:25 AM »
Try this.  When Safe Price pops up, click on the ? mark next to the X (close) button.  There should be a link to disable Safe Price at the bottom left.  Here is a screenshot of the page with the link circled.  http://i.imgur.com/qfb4EWH.png

tinar

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2014, 06:56:59 AM »
Thanks for your instructions, but it that still didn't turn it off. Apparently our fault. We did some digging and found (for some reason) our Avast wasn't updating - the program itself. We clicked "update" but it did nothing. We had to redownload the program and start again. Now it seems to have turned off...will see!  I hope so! I always recommended Avast to friends and family. Would have been a shame if we had to put up with forced SPAM...which it really was. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 07:38:47 AM by tinar »

hitechman

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 05:26:41 AM »
In Firefox v28.0......right click on green circle (avast! Online Security), choose settings (a grey box at the very left BOTTOM below the avast logo), scroll down to the very bottom of that page and uncheck the box for SafePrice.

It is NOT listed as an extension or plugin in Firefox v28.0.

They must get a commission from eBay for every direct there.  ;D   They sure do make this difficult to disable as you can't get to this setting in the main avast settings menu (it should be disabled by default IMHO).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:36:42 AM by hitechman »