Author Topic: AVAST 2015 Release Candidate 2 (10.0.2203)  (Read 45611 times)

Offline hectic-mmv

AVAST 2015 Release Candidate 2 (10.0.2203)
« on: October 14, 2014, 07:22:31 PM »
Hi all,
I'm excited to inform you about AVAST 2015 Release Candidate 2 (build number 10.0.2203).

We have fixed issues found in RC1:
  • Registration to Windows Security Center
  • Fixed UI crash while logging to my.avast 
  • Resource.pak corrupted - Boottime scan problems
  • NG now installed only on machines with SSD disks
  • and few internal stability improvements

Known issues:
- Cannot delete custom scan
- Aggressive Hardened mode still catches SafeZone browsers for few installations

We are really curious about your feedback on our new feature - Home Network Security. How many of you have a default or weak password on your router?

Features already introduced in previous AVAST 2015 betas:

• GrimeFighter Free
GrimeFighter will offer free cleaning of junk files and tuning of system settings. These tasks are performed by our Zilch and Torque minions. Other minion functions remain as paid-for features.

• HTTPS scanning
Now, we are able to detect and decrypt TLS/SSL protected traffic in our Web-content filtering component. We are using our own generated certificates that are added into the Root Certificate store in Windows and also into major browsers. This feature will protect you against viruses coming through HTTPs traffic as well as adding compatibility for SPDY+HTTPS/ HTTP 2.0 traffic. You can tune/disable this feature in the settings section.

• Home Network Security
Scan your home network for vulnerabilities (wifi status, connected devices, router settings, factory passwords, etc.). This is quite a new approach as we are trying to discover potential problems not isolated on the particular device only, but in the entire network of devices you use or connect to the Internet from.

• SecureDNS (this feature is active in the paid versions only)
We are introducing a new provider which guards against unprotected DNS/DNS hijack on a router/client (including unsecured networks, public ones, etc.).

• Smart Scan
Integrated all on demand scans into one (Antivirus, Software updates, Home Network, GrimeFighter). One scan, different results and recommendations.

• AVAST NG
A hardware based virtualization solution capable of running each Windows process in standalone safe virtualized environment (VM) and fully integrated to your desktop. Each process is executed in its own instance of VM, which means totally isolated from your other applications. This feature is now powering the Avast DeepScreen, resulting in better detection. The technology will also eventually power the Sandbox and SafeZone components (although it does not now).

Note: In this beta build, not all detections are 100% operable yet, so I wouldn't recommend using the new DeepScreen for detection testing for now. It will be 100% operable in the next couple of weeks - we will certainly let you know when is the good time to start testing with your malware collections :).

Note 2: Avast NG can be installed only on physical machine, does not work in VM. It requires HW virtualization enabled.

• New Support System
Easy contact for paid users to submit a ticket with all info included automatically. Improved knowledge base for free users. Help is completely online and is more up to date.

• General bugfixing
This covers a lot of stability & performance changes in all components (but the main focus was traditionally on the network & engine components).

We would like to ask for your feedback, what is not working, what is your experience, whether do you see any performance problems,
connectivity problems, etc. There is a lot of new low-level functionality with an impact to the whole system, so we need your feedback
to tune everything for the final release. Thanks a lot!

Download locations
http://files.avast.com/beta9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/beta9x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/beta9x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/beta9x/avast_premier_antivirus_setup.exe

avast! cleaner:
http://files.avast.com/beta9x/avast_clear.exe

It should be possible to install this version on top of your existing avast! installation (all settings should be preserved).

enjoy!
Michal Vanek
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:50:35 PM by hectic-mmv »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: AVAST 2015 Release Candidate 1 (10.0.2203)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 07:25:32 PM »
Thanks.
The subject reads - Re: AVAST 2015 Release Candidate 1 (10.0.2203)

Offline hectic-mmv

Re: AVAST 2015 Release Candidate 1 (10.0.2203)
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 07:26:39 PM »
Thanks.
The subject reads - Re: AVAST 2015 Release Candidate 1 (10.0.2203)

My bad, fixed ;)
thx

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
Re: AVAST 2015 Release Candidate 2 (10.0.2203)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 07:27:45 PM »
Is NG and dyna-gen ready yet?? Are you guys sure we will have everything to 100% potential during the final??

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 07:35:23 PM »
I'm wondering the same thing. Because i want to make a proper avast! comeback this time around and show it to people avast! means business again with v2015. RC2 is up so actual release is really closing in now.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 07:46:41 PM »
We are really curious about your feedback on our new feature - Home Network Security. How many of you have a default or weak password on your router?
Unfortunately for my ISP (Sky) I am unable to change the password as if I do I will not be able to get online.  However, I do not have sharing enabled

Also there is still no NG shortcut for IE on my desktop .. Win8.1 x64 IE11

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 07:48:28 PM »
OK. Now where did NG go? Geez, RC2 and NG disappears.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 07:48:55 PM »
As far as i know those shortcuts were just for testing purposes in early builds.

@Charyb
Maybe it's automatic now, on low end systems it's automatically skipped and on normal and high end it's automatically installed (if applicable).

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 07:51:47 PM »
OK so now NG will only work with SSD's ?? This is getting ridiculous...What's the point of having something like this that is only working for small amount of users.And we dont even know if we would have dyna-gen in the final and what are its effects on protection with or without this NG thing?? Then NG is serious setback.Because dyna-gen must be a backup to NG at all times in case anything happens and should be equally good.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:53:20 PM by True Ind »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 07:53:13 PM »
Supposedly NG can work with other users somehow (through cloud), but i'm not sure in what way and how quickly. Even if they only have "basic" DeepScreen...

Offline Lord_Ami

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 07:54:26 PM »
OK so now NG will only work with SSD's ?? This is getting ridiculous...What's the point of having something like this that is only working for small amount of users.And we dont even know if we would have dyna-gen in the final and what are its effects on protection with or without this NG thing?? Then NG is serious setback.Because dyna-gen must be a backup to NG at all times in case anything happens and should be equally good.

Seems there is no NGtool.exe after upgrade from RC1 (and restart) so yes...
Devs, did you postpone it until you solve the "resource issue" with VirtualBox? (working on your own environment)

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 07:54:55 PM »
Supposedly NG can work with other users somehow (through cloud), but i'm not sure in what way and how quickly. Even if they only have "basic" DeepScreen...

We still need something useful enough for the majority user base.So dyna has to be effective enough just as NG is or will be or all this is a waste of time.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 07:58:08 PM »
Hm, updated to RC2 and everything NG related is now gone. Can't find it in installer and can't find it in running processes (no NG process anymore). Has this been merged into main avast! process or something went south really badly?

I made the update using integrated updater...

Offline kenny556

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 08:00:37 PM »
What happened to the DynaGen detections that where so promised in this version hmmm???

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 08:05:21 PM »
Well looking at avast scores off late i am loosing my nerve with avast not being consistent in test enviroment.I hope they mean serious protection with 2015 final and dyna technology and NG because i would hate to see another let down.