Author Topic: ashWebSv.exe is using 100% CPU for no reason!  (Read 87301 times)

chappers

ashWebSv.exe is using 100% CPU for no reason!
« on: April 01, 2008, 10:48:33 PM »
hi all, just installed yesterday.

BUT

ashWebSv.exe is taking 90-100% of me cpu.

Have no other AV/HJ/Adaware programs running and its getting annoying.

Have no virus's, no malware, no hj attempts

me pc is not slow - 3Ghz P4 Prescott with 2GB DDR running Win XP Pro

Currently with just the usual programs in the background, this window open and me email app open, its taking 160MB of ram @average 95% of the cpu.

if i cant a fix, i will be going back to me last Av proggy.

I have the 4.8 Home edition btw

please tell me how to close/end this exe as as i guessed i cant stop it from the taskmgr

onlysomeone

Re: ashWebSv.exe is using 100% CPU for no reason!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 10:56:31 PM »
ashWebSv.exe is taking 90-100% of me cpu.

where did you see this? taskmanager or in an other program?

chappers

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 11:06:35 PM »
in taskmgr - screeny to come

chappers

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 11:21:41 PM »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 11:58:05 PM »
What were you doing whilst this is like that, listening to streaming audio, video, just browsing, etc. ?

What is your browser ?

You can click the avast 'a' icon, which will open the On-Access Protection screen, if you see a button Details... click it and you will see icons on the left. Select the Web Shield icon and click Terminate, you will be asked if you want to persist the changes, for now answer No or it will continue in the next boot.

These are my current TM readings and I too have XP Pro, Firefox, web shield enabled and just browsing on the forums. The VM Size we have been informed provides a more accurate figure of memory use, though the  Mem Usage is 39,900 way, way lower that the 191MB figure yours is showing.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 12:00:46 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

chappers

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 10:28:22 AM »
just having one seamonkey browser, mail open and having the usual things in the background.

by opting for terminate or pause, the ashWebSv.exe is always there after iv tried to end it in the access bit.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 01:42:18 PM »
I'm not sure that seamonkey is in the list of supported browsers (I know it is the old mozilla browser, but now re-branded), unfortunately there is nowhere a user can look to see what are the supported browsers.

What are the usual things in the background, I don't know, especially if they have any Internet interface ?

Pausing in the web shield only pauses the scanning, but traffic still goes through the proxy, so if seamonkey is a supported browser the web shield proxy is still used, I don't know if that would rack up CPU as it isn't being scanned as normal.

The only other thing I can think of is, have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
A dump of the ashWebSv.exe process would be very interesting.
Please note that prior to taking it, you'll have to temporarily disable avast self defense - otherwise, the program responsible for creation of the dump won't be able to open the process.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 02:16:48 PM »
A dump of the ashWebSv.exe process would be very interesting.
To create the dump, download and run http://public.avast.com/~vlk/hangrep.exe . In the list of processes select ashWebSv.exe and use the Save button. This generates a file which you can either send to his email address vlk (at) avast.com (if it's smaller than e.g. 1 MB, ZIPed), or upload to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming

The command-line version http://public.avast.com/~vlk/userdump.exe . The syntax is
userdump.exe ashWebSv.exe c:\ashWebSv.dmp
(producing dump file in the root of C:\ drive)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 02:51:38 PM by Vlk »
The best things in life are free.

mhowie

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 04:09:35 AM »
Same problem here... three times in the last month.  All of a sudden, my system slows dramatically, I can not access any web sites ("loading") - both FF 3.01 and IE7, but strangely I retain email capabilities.  A check of task manager shows the ashwebsv.exe process using 95%+ CPU.  A reboot solves the problem, but this seems to be a glitch.  I was a long time user of AVG and have been pleased with Avast to date aside from this issue.

Thanks,

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 02:07:16 PM »
Since this problem dates from April it may not be entirely the same issue, which I would have hoped would have been resolved as there have been a couple of program updates since April.

I don't know if this might have an impact on your problem, but there is a very recent program update (last day or so) available, version 4.8.1229. So I would advise doing a manual update if you aren't using that version. As there would be little point in chasing a possible in an old version of avast.

mhowie

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 05:17:02 AM »
Since this problem dates from April it may not be entirely the same issue, which I would have hoped would have been resolved as there have been a couple of program updates since April.

I don't know if this might have an impact on your problem, but there is a very recent program update (last day or so) available, version 4.8.1229. So I would advise doing a manual update if you aren't using that version. As there would be little point in chasing a possible in an old version of avast.

I updated the program earlier in the week to the latest version (1229).  Unfortunately, this bug presented itself again this evening.  All of a sudden, all web activity ceased and the ashwebsv.exe process was going wild.  I was unable to close that process (denied), so again a reboot was required to restore order.  This problem seems to be associated with a large number of open tabs within Firefox (at least that is always the case when I am impacted by it).

I sure hope this problem can be resolved and in short order as it is becoming quite annoying.  I don't want to go back to AVG, but I never ran into computer paralyzing symptoms from it when I was using that program.

UPDATE: in perusing this forum I stumbled onto the following link... seems there might be a connection to the problems noted in this thread and many are suffering from it: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=37024.0
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 05:24:09 AM by mhowie »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 06:12:18 AM »
mhowie,

can you please advise us if you are Vista user, if not then what is your operating system?

mhowie

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 02:51:55 PM »
mhowie,

can you please advise us if you are Vista user, if not then what is your operating system?

Not a Vista user... XP2 Pro

FWIW, I am not running Norton nor have ever had it on my system.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 07:39:23 PM »
Any other security programs? Firewall, antispywares...
Is there any useful information into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, specially 'Errors'?
Any Firefox extension that could have bring problems?
The best things in life are free.