Author Topic: New avast program update 5.0.418  (Read 330116 times)

dabeniao

Re: New avast program update 5.0.418
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2010, 12:46:41 PM »
Try a repair in control panel and restart

or you should do a clean uninstall and reinstall avast for it to work properly.

According to their statements, they didn't have the old avast! installed on their machines, so they think they do not need to do the unistall and reinstall things :-\.

Glad that I don't have any problem with my three PCs at home though.

alfainfo

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2010, 12:55:08 PM »
In the italian Translation of Avast 5.0.418 there is an error:
in the computer scan tab is written "fewer details" instead of "meno dettagli".
Thanks in advance.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2010, 01:14:35 PM »
Waited for the update notification, updated from 396 to 418 with no issues (but I have never had any issues...)

I'm pretty sure that my pc booted up faster too, and seems faster too :)

-Scott-

EDIT: I have to say also, that I am pleased that ALWIL and MBAM have worked together to solve this one for others, rather than, like the others, say add it to exclusions or something...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 01:19:52 PM by spg SCOTT »

Hemmers

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2010, 03:29:05 PM »
Struggling. Had 5.0.3something which was fine.

Upgraded via program update to 5.0.418 and it now sits in the tray with a red circle and white cross.

In "Summary" it says
"Urgent: avast! service stopped"

The avast! antivirus program has been stopped, or is an inconsistent state. Please re-start the program to resume protecting your system.

The Shields all have "PROTECTION STATUS: UNKNOWN"

In the Update tab it says "Current Version: Unknown" for both the engine and Program.

On Windows XP SP3. Just doesn't work. Tried downloading the latest installer, uninstalled, reinstalled, retarted the computer (several times).
I haven't changed any services. It's happened with the update. It's not even unstable (e.g. dropping in and out). It simply doesn't work.

Any ideas?
I don't have the installer for 5.0.3xx, so until a stable version comes round I'll have to manage without AV or jump ship to AVG, which I'd rather not do as I've used Avast! for a long time and am loyal to what is usually an excellent bit of software,

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2010, 03:33:44 PM »
Update from .396 to .418 and all went perfect on Vista.

Are many of you that are having good results using XP? I'm gonna put avast! on my mom's computer and she has XP, so I've been waiting for a stable version before attempting it. :)

No problems with Avast5 here.  My signature gives the OS and versions of various software I have installed.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2010, 03:39:16 PM »
I don't have the installer for 5.0.3xx, so until a stable version comes round I'll have to manage without AV or jump ship to AVG, which I'd rather not do as I've used Avast! for a long time and am loyal to what is usually an excellent bit of software,

Please go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools -> Service, and try to start the "avast! antivirus" service. What error message do you get, if any?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

sebailey

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2010, 03:51:01 PM »
Well uninstalled Free version .418 and installed Pro 4.18  Unfortunatly slow boot-up still exists with Pro >:(.. Any ideas why this is?  Whats so different with Pro verses free that would cause this? Its like for  2 or 3 minutes the desktop just sits there and no other applications start. No hard drive activity or anything, just stalls. Otherwise ones its up seems to run fine.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 03:53:40 PM by sebailey »

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2010, 05:28:18 PM »
Update went fine here aswell the plus goes for Swedish translation thanks for add it.

Yes, nice with the swedish language, but to many "writing words separately" as I think the guy that translated the software, did it word by word from english to swedish, and with english you often seperate words, and in swedish, we wrote words togheter. Fullscreen application is not Fullskärms applikation in swedish, instead it should be Fullskärmsapplikation. Virus defintions should be Virusdefinitioner in swedish...and so on!

But credit to the guy that translated the software. It is much work to translate software.

If I got time, I will post more corrections to Igor.
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2010, 05:37:24 PM »
If I got time, I will post more corrections to Igor.

Yes, please do.

Thanks.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Sgt.Schumann

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2010, 06:33:51 PM »
The update from 5.0.415 to 5.0.418 ran without any problems. New version runs very stable (like the last ones too).  :)

gmjs

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2010, 06:34:50 PM »
Just the usual probs with the new version.

Setup screen logic is wrong at the 'Destination' screen.  If you choose Next, then Back, then try to continue through the setup, you can't (you're stuck on the 'Destination' screen).

Also a strange one--since version 5 all the PCs I've installed it to make a (reasonably quiet) 'ascending in pitch' squeak when loading and updating--as if the memory is being hammered or something.  Not sure if this is a problem, but I've not known any other apps do this (apart from old graphics-intensive DOS applications).

Still think this is the best free antivirus solution though!

Martinss

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2010, 07:19:22 PM »
Upgrade sussesfully, no problems in XP SP3 and Win7 Ultimate x86  ;)

Wizard17

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2010, 07:34:59 PM »
I'm on Win7 x64, 5.0.418 free
- self defense switch in settings doesn't work, it's always in self-defense on, or, put differently, the setting doesn't stick. Go settings, disable it, OK, go back, it's enabled again
- Uninstall not possible: There was an error during product uninstallation. This happens either with uninstall or uninstall invoked from, say, a new full installerof diff. version installer
- aswClear5 says self defense is enabled, so can't uninstall. But from above, self-defense cannot be disabled
- Uninstall seems only possible in safe-mode, that works

Momcatt

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2010, 07:35:05 PM »
I updated my desktop this morning, from v4.  It had to reboot upon the update completing... and it did NOT reboot...

I was afraid the machine had died... I let it sit and "think about" what it had done... but I had the black screen of death.

I finally powered it off and let it sit for a while, and then powered it on.  I let it go into safe mode, then rebooted again.

All is fine now, except that the machine seems to be running a LOT slower...

My O/S is XP Pro... in case this tells you anything.

I opted for the free version, but am thinking of buying the Pro version that covers 3 machines... but wish I could get "the deal" for 4 machines, as I have 2 desktops and 2 laptops.  One desktop and one laptop are both W7; the other desktop and laptop are XP Pro.

Is it possible to get "the deal" for all 4 machines? Is this 50% off good for just one year?

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2010, 07:49:03 PM »
Updated fine for me too.

This was the the first time (that I can remember) that I got that "program update available" popup in 5 (I've got program updates set to notify-only, same as probably most users) ... I don't think the previous "public" build gave me the popup, but there was a note on the status screen that the update was available.

I seem to recall that engine/defs auto-updates worked fine all long (except for some users in 377), but that there were still problems with program updates up until now, and it's nice to see that the latter seem to have now been fixed.  (I've got both connection-type options unchecked, by the way.)
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent