Author Topic: Avast 5 WebShield slowing down your web surfing?  (Read 135137 times)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast 5 WebShield slowing down your web surfing?
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »

I have however noticed a BIG decrease in download speed from my newsgroup server.  I would say that newsgroups have very consistent speeds and can be used to test connection speeds.

Anyhow, I noticed that my speeds have gone from 1-1.5 MB (yes, megaBYTES) per second to about half that.  I have tried changing settings so that NNTP traffic wouldn't be scanned as vigorously (as I was able to do in 4.8).  I was not able to fix the problem.  I saw this forum and tried playing with the webshield.  I tried turning webshield off, and didn't see any immediate effect (so I turned it back on).  I then tried disabling the "Scan http traffic" option.  No immediate effect, but in less than 5 min, my newsgroup download speed has returned to normal levels.

Hi tovento, NNTP traffic does not go via HTTP protocol (and so it does not exercise WebShield at all), it uses NNTP instead. This is checked by Mail Shield (Mail and News). Does the speed change when disabling Mail Shield?
Lukas.

tovento

« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2010, 05:10:40 PM »
Hi tovento, NNTP traffic does not go via HTTP protocol (and so it does not exercise WebShield at all), it uses NNTP instead. This is checked by Mail Shield (Mail and News). Does the speed change when disabling Mail Shield?
Lukas.

Hey there.  I noticed the NNTP traffic in the mail section, and disabled the scanning there with no effect on my download.  There is an odd chance that it was my connection for some reason was slow.  I'll play around with settings and see what gets affected.

Hally

« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2010, 07:37:41 PM »
Hi Vlk  :)

You're probably wondering why I've quoted my own post  ::)

The Reason.. Think I've Discovered Something!   :o

Hi Vlk  :)

Like I've Said Before...

My speeds do NOT seem to be affected by the Avast 5 webshield  8)

I've never really kept check of my Upload Speed as much as I have my Download Speed  :-\
However!
100% Sure... My Download Speed Is The Same As It's Always Been  :D

I'm Using...
Broadband
Up To 8Mbps
Netgear - Wirelesss Modem/Router

But I Do Have One Problem :'(

Avast seems to cause my Internet to have minor cut outs at random times  ::)
What I Mean...
My little Internet Globe Icon ( Showing Net Connection ) keeps disappearing from the Taskbar.
Opening a browser or web page always brings the Globe Icon and my Internet straight back again.
But It Does get Annoying!  >:(

Note: Some days the problem is worse than others ( Almost Seems Like... Definition updates can have a positive or negative effect )

Note: I had exactly the same problem with - Avast 4.8

Note: I know that it's Avast causing the problem.
Because it doesn't happen when Avast is uninstalled  :(

Threads where I've talked about this problem...
Here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55722.msg471143#msg471143
Here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55898.msg473976#msg473976

Thanks!  ;)

PS.
A couple of other people have also said they have the same problem as me.

Hally
Avast 5 - Rocks!  8)

Baby Boy  :D  Congratulations! ;)

The Disappearing Internet Globe Icon Problem .. Could be down to which browser is being used  ???
IE8 .. Problem Not So Bad!
Firefox .. Problem Bad!
Opera .. Problem Really Bad  :'(

Only Installed Opera A Few Days Ago!
But straight away.. I noticed that the problem was much worse using Opera than it is with either IE8 or Firefox  :(

Hally

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2010, 10:31:27 PM »
Hi Halley, I think probably better that you see people who provide Internet Globe function as this must be part of an additional feature that would appear to be using much resources if avast updates are causing conflicts when you surfing at 6.45 Mbps. What is the Internet Globe function, and who is it by?
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

petusalem

« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2010, 09:52:51 AM »
Hi Halley, I think probably better that you see people who provide Internet Globe function as this must be part of an additional feature that would appear to be using much resources if avast updates are causing conflicts when you surfing at 6.45 Mbps. What is the Internet Globe function, and who is it by?

Hally should see guys from Microsoft? Maybe...

Internet Globe is icon for network connections. Hally is using Vista.
 :P

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2010, 10:32:10 AM »
That's what I'm trying to find out - are you sure not carphone warehouse

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

tovento

« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2010, 02:44:06 PM »
Hey everyone...wanted to post an update on my testing.  It seems my provider was going through an upgrade which affected my download speeds lately.  I have the webshield with HTTP scanning enabled, and hit the fastest d/l speeds I've ever gotten this morning.  So, my earlier concerns were not because of Avast and seems to have been caused by my provider.  Just odd timing that the provider upgrade occurred at the same time that I upgraded to Avast 5.

So, everything is working just fine here with webshield and HTTP enabled.  I see no slowdown in webpage traffic or download speeds.

Hally

« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2010, 02:55:44 PM »
Hi mkis  :)

Petusalem Is Right! .. I was talking about the Microsoft Internet Connection icon in my Taskbar  ;)

Hally should see guys from Microsoft? Maybe...

Internet Globe is icon for network connections. Hally is using Vista.
 :P

It Just Disappears All The Time :'(
Clicking on a Web page or Opening a Browser... Brings the Globe Icon and my Internet Connection straight back again  :D
Note: Web pages or Browser .. Usually open as though Internet Connection had never been lost  :-\

The problem seems worse some days than others   ???
And I've noticed that some browsers are affected more than others.
IE8 .. Not Too Bad!
Firefox .. Bad!
Opera .. Really Bad!

Know The Problem Is Caused By Avast
:(
Because the problem only started just over 12 months ago.. When I First Installed - Avast 4.8
Also!
In between Uninstalling Avast 4.8 - & - Installing Avast 5 ... I tried MSE for a week! 
Hated - MSE >:(
However!
I did notice that I no longer had the problem of the... Disappearing Internet Globe Taskbar Icon  ::)
MSE - Out! ... Avast 5 - In! .. Problem Back!  :o
Note: This problem is experienced on both my Laptop and Desktop.

Hally

Offline jimb11

« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2010, 04:14:34 PM »
@Hally:

Same with me! It only happens when I use Avast both 4.8 and 5.0! This is the only program on my computer that causes this to happen! I emailed Vlk about this but never got a reply.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2010, 04:18:24 PM »
Using both at the same time? Silly you :-)
Tried anonther browser? (e.g. Opera)

VLk, I think people also should mention what connection they have (dl speed/ul speed) and what browser they are using.
I'm getting lots of complains about slow internet/systems when people are using the latest IE version.
Perhaps that has something to do with it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 04:22:27 PM by Eddy »

Hally

« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2010, 04:25:42 PM »
Hi Eddy  :)

Using both at the same time? Silly you :-)
Tried anonther browser? (e.g. Opera)

Not at the same time  ::) What gave you that idea  ???

I Mean...
When I Use - IE8 .. The Problem Isn't Too Bad!
When I Use - Firefox .. The Problem Seems Worse!
When I Use - Opera .. The Problem Is Terrible!
But I only use one browser at a time  ;)

Also!
Like I Said... The problem is worse some days than others :-\

Edit!
Sorry Eddy  :-[
Must have my dizzy head on again today  ;D
Realise you were talking about...
@Hally:

Same with me! It only happens when I use Avast both 4.8 and 5.0! This is the only program on my computer that causes this to happen! I emailed Vlk about this but never got a reply.
But I'm NOT using both Avast 4.8 & Avast 5 at the same time.
And I'm pretty sure jimb11 isn't either  ::)
He was just saying that his problem is the same as mine.
And that he also had the problem with Avast 4.8 and now with.. Avast 5  :'(

Hally
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 04:31:40 PM by Hally »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2010, 04:49:10 PM »
Thats what says to me Eddy - I just read yr post before nearly x-posted - so here goes anyway

hmm...should just turn, even if it seems to turn forever.
But should not disappear, although just for a second...

And this for about 12 months you say at one point? I haven't been through all yr posts...
And both yr desktop and yr laptop, and off and on or always, or on only one of them...

Lets start with only one of them... the worse one..and include all the info of what it runs...
like...Avast 5 Free - Windows Defender - PC Tools Firewall Plus - SAS - Winpatrol Plus - MBAM - Firefox: WOT - No Script - Adblock Plus - IE8: WOT....just omit what does not apply - but so we only talking about one machine

Halley, I honestly think yr problem is with yr Microsoft, and most likely yr IE8 or yr update utility or ...

I suppose start somewhere simple - with yr Internet options - General - what do you have in yr search defaults Settings - Search provider (and disable all search suggestions for now) - make sure whatever is yr home page is also yr default Search Provider. make sure you have google and Opera also as Search Providers on yr list - find them with Find more search providers...at bottom left corner of inset screen

I will be back very soon - delete all yr browsing history and also go to Settings there and delete any temp internet files that may still be there in 'view files'...and finally for now, also open up 'view objects' and see if there is anything in there that is broken

Also
you might as well go here and run a test
- even just to check yr flashplayer is perform at optimum - checks java is up to date as well

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/  
click Start Scanner - choose display only insecure, click start - scanner runs, generates report at finish

Also
info about this - Netgear / Wirelesss Modem/Router - just what can for now, model number,etc..
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 05:37:09 PM by mkis »

Richpowell

Re: Avast 5 WebShield Blocking Site
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2010, 07:06:12 PM »
I'm currently developing a game for kids www.toonstunes.com  Since updating to 5 I'm unable to login to the site (it hangs at "connecting"). I added the site to the "exclusions" and no luck. At one point I disabled Avast's Shields and was able to get in. Currently even that does not help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2010, 07:16:59 PM »
No problem here with connection (firefox, with web shield enabled) other than the fact the home page is a monster flash welcome page, being on dial-up.

Given that as you say with the web shield disabled, even now that doesn't help, so to me that indicates there is something else in the mix.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:19:04 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Richpowell

« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2010, 07:31:03 PM »
Were you able to actually create a profile and log in? That's where the hang occurs. Sorry, I should've been more specific. I know this sounds like a sales pitch but seriously, we're just getting started: the site is totally free and you won't get any junk mail.