Author Topic: Good Bye Avast - I need my CPU Back  (Read 111421 times)

bo.elam

Re: Good Bye Avast - I need my CPU Back
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2010, 05:05:51 AM »
Hi Cassy please read:
http://java.com/en/download/help/quickstarter.xml

In my opinion unless you use Java very often then its good advice to
disable it, like YoKenny is suggesting. I personally always have Java
disabled by NoScript and I enable it only during American Football
season when I follow games on the PC and  Java is needed for that.
The rest of the year I don't use Java so in my case is advisable to
disable it. Probably you rarely use/need Java or JQS, so its probably
advisable for you to disable it.
Bo     

Jeff-K

« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2010, 05:27:27 AM »
I run Windows XP
Intel Quad Extreme QX6700
2 gigs of memory
nothing virus or malware running other than Avast.

This has nothing to do with anything with my system other than the antivirus. Going back to Avast 4.8 has my machine running perfectly.

The water is not going to be muddied with people pointing fingers at my system WHEN IT WORKED AND NOW WORKS PERFECT WITH AVAST 4.8.

It seems to slow faster if you are viewing online flash based video files and it has nothing to do with cookies or cache or anything related to my system.

This has nothing to do with a problem other than AVAST slowing the computer down to a level that a reboot is necessary.

I have the same problem here.  After many tests, I had to disable the Behavior Shield to fix my problem.  I really hope that Alwil will find a solution...

Jeff-K

YoKenny

« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2010, 12:52:31 PM »
@ Cassy

Re: Java Quick Start, dubious?
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22803369-

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

I don't need Java much but I do use it occasionally to make sure that my system is up to date:
Secunia Online Software Inspector (OSI)
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

With Java Quick Starter disabled on my XP Pro system the OSI scan takes a long time to start.

Offline fasteddy

« Reply #153 on: April 08, 2010, 01:10:07 PM »
Hmmmm, not sure but this seems to be the place to ask this question.  I have Avast 4.8pro and PC Tool spyware doctor 7.0.0.543 running and I get lockup or crawlspeed after being online for 3 hours or more.  The pages fragment and everything crawls to a stop.  Even to shut down takes forever.  Things speed up if I unplug the modem and shut down Avast and then reopen.  Ideas???????

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #154 on: April 08, 2010, 01:49:02 PM »
Hi fasteddy,

Try disabling avast! Web Shield and see if things improve. Please post back the results. :)
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #155 on: April 08, 2010, 03:11:24 PM »
I think PC Tool spyware doctor is far behind the avast protection.
If I were you, I'll uninstall it and not disable WebShield.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #156 on: April 08, 2010, 04:16:26 PM »
Hi Cassy please read:
http://java.com/en/download/help/quickstarter.xml

In my opinion unless you use Java very often then its good advice to
disable it, like YoKenny is suggesting. I personally always have Java
disabled by NoScript and I enable it only during American Football
season when I follow games on the PC and  Java is needed for that.
The rest of the year I don't use Java so in my case is advisable to
disable it. Probably you rarely use/need Java or JQS, so its probably
advisable for you to disable it.
Bo     

Well strange as it seems, even with the Java Quick Start unchecked in the Java Control Panel, mine was still there in the Task Manager.

So some may find the same even with the option unchecked in the Java Control Panel, I Stopped the process in the services.msc and changed the startup from Automatic to Manual which allows it to be started by the Java process when required.

I too only use it infrequently and mainly when visiting Secunia to check my system is up to date.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline fasteddy

« Reply #157 on: April 09, 2010, 12:42:42 AM »
I think PC Tool spyware doctor is far behind the avast protection.
If I were you, I'll uninstall it and not disable WebShield.

Does the web shield offer spyware protection????

tom2112ny

« Reply #158 on: April 09, 2010, 01:04:02 AM »
There's definitely a problem with the new version.  I just bought Avast Internet Security 5.0 a couple days ago (version 5.0.462).  As soon as the download was completed, my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1501 running Windows XP) locked up.  I could move the pointer with the mouse, but that's it - I couldn't select anything with it, Cntrl-Alt-Delete to get to the task manager didn't work, nothing.  The only thing I could do was power it down.  It turns out, whenever I power up the laptop with my wireless router turned on (it connects to the internet automatically if it senses my network), the thing locks up solid.  If I power up without connecting to the internet, everything is OK.  So I disabled the firewall, and then I turn on the router, connect, and everything works OK.  Oddly enough, I just re-enabled the Windows firewall (had been running with it off before because I had other firewalls) then, just for kicks, turned the Avast firewall back on.  For the first time since I installed it, everything seems to be OK.  CPU usage is nothing, memory usage is 6080K.  We'll see if that keeps up.  I'm extremely disappointed with the new Avast version.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #159 on: April 09, 2010, 01:39:01 AM »
This could involve an issue with dell laptops and avast which is solved by updating the driver
best check out the following link and see how you go -

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=45715.msg390432#msg390432

Edit - see next post - are you able to go to System Information and provide us with some more details?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 06:27:17 AM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Xil3

« Reply #160 on: April 09, 2010, 04:24:08 AM »
Hi, I'm also having this same problem and am unable to discover the cause of the CPU Usage (70 % to 99%), and thus I'm finding it hard to write this reply.
The attached "DxDiag.xml" file has just been generated by DxDiag.exe running in 64 bit mode. You can find my system information there.
I'm running "avast! Free Antivirus" "Program version 5.0.462" "Virus definitions version: 100408-1"

Please help, I need this issue resolved as soon as possible!

Thanks, Xil3

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #161 on: April 09, 2010, 06:25:20 AM »
okay the issue is likely to be yr graphics card. But you will need to provide a bit more basic information.

Firstly, is the DxDiag reading correct - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS - if correct, have you upgraded to this card?

or conflict between two devices - probably how yr system is set up for games

what are yr computer specs?
- what is yr system manufacturer?
- what is yr system product name?

I'm not using Windows 7 or 64bit, but here goes --

Can you bring up System Information? - Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information

First  - under Hardware Resources - go to IRQ - and can you provide a screenshot of this page

Second - under Components - go to Problem devices - can you provide the information that is on this page

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Xil3

« Reply #162 on: April 09, 2010, 09:31:33 AM »
I first built it in 2005, upgrading as I went along, so therefore the system manufacturer is: Cyber-Connexions, a company that my father started and my brother continued.

The system specs are stated in the DxDiag.txt file, under the "System information", if this isn't enough specify in detail what I need to provide.

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
       System Model: System Product Name
               BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
          Page File: 2078MB used, 10202MB available

------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
      Drive: C:
 Free Space: 116.2 GB
Total Space: 476.8 GB
File System: NTFS
      Model: SAMSUNG HD501LJ SCSI Disk Device

Drive: E:
      Model: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1653S ATA Device
     Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/14/2009 00:19:54, 147456 bytes

Drive: D:
      Model: PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-117 ATA Device
     Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/14/2009 00:19:54, 147456 bytes

I didn't have this problem before I updated to avast! 5, so why am I getting it now?

The screenshots are linked:

http://img718.imageshack.us/i/irqs1.gif/

http://img254.imageshack.us/i/irqs2.gif/

http://img101.imageshack.us/i/irqs3.gif/

http://img255.imageshack.us/i/problemdevices.gif/

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #163 on: April 09, 2010, 12:15:14 PM »
@Xil3 - just a couple of points

I am not on Windows 7 or 64bit but I currently working on a similar system - here is the DxDiag (was already on desktop)

http://docs.google.com/View?id=ah85g3kzb4tn_269hm4xvs66

I have had no problem loading the v5 Free AV and then upgrading to IS AV. and this was before I started tidying up the system.
But that really is not much help to you is it?
perhaps that you are 64bit with Win7 makes a difference - there have been a few issues, but not sure whether with Free AV.

Anyway I think best start yr own thread for this, even tho might turn out to be an easy fix - add link to new thread in a reply here
- and put something in the header to say that system is used for games

Plenty IRQs - acpi-compliant - but I think that is okay for now, normal for a system like yours

But USB wireless Network Adapter is disabled - what gives there? Is it possible to enable even if not being used.

I think best run a HijackThis scan as well so we can see if anything there of interest about the system

Click here – (will take direct to download)
http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/download/8571e06e5eb8ab03c649f3b5d647c599/

Download and run.
Then do scan and save a log file.

Post the log file to this thread. If it is too large you may have to post in two parts.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:17:14 PM by mkis »

tom2112ny

« Reply #164 on: April 09, 2010, 03:41:15 PM »
Attached is my system information (saved information from dxdiag)