Author Topic: DPC Latency will destroy the AVAST'S reputation ?  (Read 131911 times)

Cako

DPC Latency will destroy the AVAST'S reputation ?
« on: March 25, 2010, 03:08:36 PM »
So, I'm not Sherlock Holmes, but after almost two months I finally found out what the real problem with avast.
It's called DPC (Deferred Procedure Calls).
look at the undeniable proof.

Photo 1:
this photo you can clearly see how the DPC is absurdly high, the problem appears only 9 hours after leaving the avast using the scan of P2P shield.
That's what causes the problem of sound and video on youtube and on the computer.
My home PC is connected to 6 days a week 24 hours a day is why I can feel these problems more than others that turn off your PC.
The DPC is extremely high and could have been much higher if I had done more testing for a few hours.

Photo 2:
This picture is clear and transparent what happens when i turn off all the shields of avast, the DPC returns to normal and no sound problems, end more, some times the mouse pointer jumping from one point to another in screen.
I think all avast is causing the high DPC only to be turned on and this problem its worse even more if you use P2P shield or full system scan.

Test the DPC latency.
if you want to test it on your PC just download the DPC Latency Checker in this link:
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml
dont need install just download end use,put your tests here,iam using Windows XP/sp3/1G Ram/processor 3.2 pentium 4.

Persistent problem.
this problem with DPC is going on since the final version of avast was launched.
No one from ALWIL want to resolve it, and the worst part is that it must have thousands of users with this same problem and they dont have faintest idea what is avast which is causing sound problems in they computers, sound problems,slow system and the mouse pointer jumping from one point to another in screen.
I do not recommend to exchange of antivirus, avast still the best in the world but version 5 still far from the high reputation of version 4.8.

Solution
If anyone knows the phone of David Copperfield or Houdini please call them to do a magic to FIX this problem.
developers not Seems to be worried with the largest issue of avast at all times.
I hope in the next verssion this error in DPC ends.

if you are a visitor you will only see the photos if you register on the forum, is free,easy end fast.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 03:58:57 PM by Cako »

Offline wonderwrench

Re: DPC Latency will destroy the AVAST'S reputation ?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 06:56:26 PM »
I have XP pro 32 bit sp3 on a Centrino laptop, Intel 1.4 ghz/768 megs of ram, Intel wireless and wired NIC's. I have been trying to reproduce this problem but have not been able to at this point. After 3 days of up time latency is still low. Are you using a P2P app or other similar program?
What NIC are you using? Are you using the latest drivers? If not try updating your NIC drivers and see if you can still reproduce the DPC latency problem.
The reason I say this is I had a PC that had a Realtek NIC running XP using XP's built in driver for the NIC. Though the NIC functioned I had slow downs, stuttering etc. I found the problem using DPC Latency checker, updated the NIC drivers and problem solved. 
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

bong2x

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 07:21:58 PM »
 ;) will its good that you already find a solution

first time i use it, the dpc pointing driver that going mad

so what is the point testing it at AV?

what i think is, avast is security software and not a device driver

if there is interference try to observe what is the cause of it. and what is the proper testing.

;D example: can you try-out swimming so that you will be good boxer  ??? ???  ;D

its the same:
a testing for device driver,  you test it in security software and what you got? interference only and try put another AV it will be the same ratings.

sorry for my words!!! just a point of view

Best Regards!!

Cako

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:30:02 PM »
I have XP pro 32 bit sp3 on a Centrino laptop, Intel 1.4 ghz/768 megs of ram, Intel wireless and wired NIC's. I have been trying to reproduce this problem but have not been able to at this point. After 3 days of up time latency is still low. Are you using a P2P app or other similar program?
What NIC are you using? Are you using the latest drivers? If not try updating your NIC drivers and see if you can still reproduce the DPC latency problem.
The reason I say this is I had a PC that had a Realtek NIC running XP using XP's built in driver for the NIC. Though the NIC functioned I had slow downs, stuttering etc. I found the problem using DPC Latency checker, updated the NIC drivers and problem solved.  

hi.
thanks for reply.
what is NIC. ???
All my drivers are updated.
this problem with the DPC did not happen in version 396.
our friend mut@NT wrote about it in this topic and he is right.
since the 418 version avast has this problem.
read the topic it is very interesting.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57146.0
the problem appears after several hours, in my case more than 9 hours of use ..
Yes, I'm using a P2P program, emule, emule had no problems in version 396, but he only advance the problem with the DPC latency.
if you scan your computer with the full scan a few hours you will have this problem (i have).
on my pc the full scan takes up to 2 hours to complete (160 GB HD).
let's see what the support avast will speech.
thanks for the help.
you was very kind.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 07:34:22 PM by Cako »

Cako

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 07:39:44 PM »

if there is interference try to observe what is the cause of it. and what is the proper testing.

;D example: can you try-out swimming so that you will be good boxer  ??? ???  ;D

its the same:
a testing for device driver,  you test it in security software and what you got? interference only and try put another AV it will be the same ratings.

Best Regards!!

its OK,is your point of view,I respect that.
but avast has services installed on the PC and I think also has drivers.
its not a coincidence avast scan a file and DPC latency go almost  to max.
thanks fo reply.

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 07:47:07 PM »

its the same:

Best Regards!!

Hi bong2x, Avast does have drivers as many programs do. Avast uses several filter drivers to be able to scan all needed data. See screen
shot of device manager on my Windows 7 box. To see these devices you must enable show hidden devices from the view menu.
Avast 5 obviously has a conflict with with a device driver some people have on their systems. We just need to find out which device or devices
cause the conflict.

Cako NIC means Network Interface Card or network card.
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 07:50:37 PM »
Hey wonderwrench: it can't be, that you don't have this problem. Cako says that it is a flaw in avast, consequently you must have this latency. If not, it's a bug.  ;D
Maybe you should request a bug-update from alwil?
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 07:51:49 PM »
Well I decided to download this as a bit of general analysis of my XP Pro SP3 system.

Now I'm just browsing the internet posting on the forums, etc. and it reports "This machine should be able to handle real-time streaming of audio, etc.... without drop-outs," which is patently ridiculous as I'm on dial-up.

So this latency checker has some limitations itself, as it doesn't seem to consider connection speed (or be able to calculate it).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bong2x

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 07:52:29 PM »
thanks for not thinking bad about my post.

try locating the interference by disabling your driver installed if you found it try to download a new build of that driver.

one thing are your automatic window update set at "notify me if there update"?

if you don't update your window it will cause also for the driver going mad and read high dpc rating.

Best regards!!!

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 07:56:24 PM »
Hey wonderwrench: it can't be, that you don't have this problem. Cako says that it is a flaw in avast, consequently you must have this latency. If not, it's a bug.  ;D

It is a bug but it may or may not be an Avast 5 bug. It very well might be a device driver bug in a hardware device that causes a conflict with Avast 5.

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 08:00:41 PM »
Well I decided to download this as a bit of general analysis of my XP Pro SP3 system.

Now I'm just browsing the internet posting on the forums, etc. and it reports "This machine should be able to handle real-time streaming of audio, etc.... without drop-outs," which is patently ridiculous as I'm on dial-up.

So this latency checker has some limitations itself, as it doesn't seem to consider connection speed (or be able to calculate it).

DPC Latency checker has nothing to do with your internet connection. See link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_Procedure_Call

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 08:02:20 PM »
There are exactly 2 users (two) here in this forum complaining about this symptom. Not more. So I refuse to believe that it is a bug in avast... considering the posts of those 2 users.
Free MBAM Clear

Cako

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 08:04:22 PM »

It is a bug but it may or may not be an Avast 5 bug. It very well might be a device driver bug in a hardware device that causes a conflict with Avast 5.
wonderwrench tanks again end ignore this user it just mess it up.( Zyndstoff)
Network Interface Card its Ok end updated.
my computer is always updated with everything, that's why I'm not going back to using version 396.

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 08:06:38 PM »
On my XP Pro system my connection looks like DavidR's connection but on my Windows 7 system it shows DPC latency errors.  ???

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 08:07:40 PM »
Whatever  ;D
Free MBAM Clear