Author Topic: Scanning last downloaded file  (Read 24378 times)

dealdieboy

Scanning last downloaded file
« on: April 17, 2010, 10:32:58 PM »
I've installed the new 5 vs of "Avast free"; when downloading a program to what Avast-file in the programfiles directory have I to send that file in my downloadmanager (in my case: leechget) to scan it? Is it still "ashquick.exe". Thanks in advance!

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
Re: Scanning last downloaded file
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 10:57:33 PM »
I don't believe this is available in Avast free anymore. You have to scan the files manually.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 10:58:08 PM »
You don't need to send it anywhere, as webshield already scanned it. ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 11:05:51 PM »
I don't believe this is available in Avast free anymore. You have to scan the files manually.
Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Please select your country: then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

What Asyn said is true.

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 11:25:59 PM »
You don't need to send it anywhere, as webshield already scanned it. ;)
asyn

How can that be? Web Shield only scans HTTP/port 80 (unless port redirect is specified). DMs use many different ports.

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 11:27:30 PM »
Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Please select your country: then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.
Thanks, but I didn't ask for any advice.

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 11:29:38 PM »
for what it's worth: ashquick.exe does exist in Avast5 ( in "free" too ;D )

Right now, the following command-line switches are (= will be) supported:
/silent - don't display anything even if malware is found (the difference is only in the return code available to the program that launched ashQuick)
/action:delete
/action:chest
/action:repair

Note that:
- ashQuick always stops scanning when a first malware is found - that's the one displayed in the final message. So, the fact that the final message shows some "less critical" malware ([PUP], [Susp]) doesn't mean there isn't any worse inside if the file is an archive.
- the action (delete, chest) always works with the whole file, no matter if it's an archive or not.
- we'd really like to avoid turning this simple tool into another full-featured scanned, with the same options as the usual GUI-based scans

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 11:37:34 PM »
for what it's worth: ashquick.exe does exist in Avast5 ( in "free" too ;D )

Right now, the following command-line switches are (= will be) supported:
/silent - don't display anything even if malware is found (the difference is only in the return code available to the program that launched ashQuick)
/action:delete
/action:chest
/action:repair

Note that:
- ashQuick always stops scanning when a first malware is found - that's the one displayed in the final message. So, the fact that the final message shows some "less critical" malware ([PUP], [Susp]) doesn't mean there isn't any worse inside if the file is an archive.
- the action (delete, chest) always works with the whole file, no matter if it's an archive or not.
- we'd really like to avoid turning this simple tool into another full-featured scanned, with the same options as the usual GUI-based scans

Yes, but command line scanning is not available in Avast free.

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 11:40:23 PM »

that's right

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 11:53:10 PM »

that's right
My point is that without command line scanning support, there is no reason to add ashquick.exe to a DM.

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 12:07:41 AM »
some arguments, as stated in my post above, are supported, so ashquick is relevant for download managers (for those who feel the need...). Might be restrictive, but that's better than nothing. Honestly I don't care that much. I was using it in V4...still wondering what for ::) (I know, web shield's on port 80 only...)

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 12:30:33 AM »
some arguments, as stated in my post above, are supported, so ashquick is relevant for download managers (for those who feel the need...). Might be restrictive, but that's better than nothing. Honestly I don't care that much. I was using it in V4...still wondering what for ::) (I know, web shield's on port 80 only...)
We're going in circles here. Since none of the supported switches will actually pass a file to ashquick for scanning, it is pointless to add it to a DM.

Hermite15

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 01:02:04 AM »
We're going in circles here. Since none of the supported switches will actually pass a file to ashquick for scanning, it is pointless to add it to a DM.

oh it won't ??? :)

edit: just tried with EICAR...all shields off...just ashquick in FDM...nothing happens.... last time I tried it was during the beta testing and it worked... (there's no GUI like in V4 but that's not my point, EICAR is just not intercepted using the ashquick command)

edit: it does work, and send to Chest (I forgot to check the virus check in FDM ;D )

I'll check tomorrow on another system running the free version. Adding that anyway, ashquick scans at disk level, just like the file system shield, so it's completely useless, in the sense that it's doing something that's being done already.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 01:32:35 AM by Logos »

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 01:46:02 AM »
I humbly beg your pardon Logos, it DOES work. When you mentioned there was no GUI (as in Avast Quick Scanner) I decided to try again with Eicar. Sure enough Avast popped up an alert. Again, my apologies for doubting you. :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 02:35:23 AM by Simion »

Hermite15

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 09:51:54 AM »
no problem, I knew that was the reason you thought it didn't work ;) When it was introduced during the beta testing last year and we first tried it, many here thought it didn't work until they tested it and a dev confirmed there was no UI.