Author Topic: Bad move Grisoft  (Read 22494 times)

Offline Rompin Raider

Re: Bad move Grisoft
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2010, 04:38:50 AM »
Whoooo...I'm pooped! Someone yell "food fight"...Animal House! Very interesting thread....that's what I like about the Avast forum...real people! The best!
Win10 Pro 22H2 64 bit Avast Premium Security/uBlock Origin

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 07:07:50 AM »
m00nbl00d, being that you have stated that you do not use either avast or avg so you seem to not be in the position to answer or make statment's about either, you can try to do manual update's a few time's a day with avg but it wont get you anyware because they only release update's every 12 to 24 hour's the last time i used it anyway which was about two years ago, unless they have started to add more regular updating recently.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 07:10:18 AM by craigb »

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 10:57:57 AM »
By choice, I don't use AVG Free and do not pay for AVG Pro. However, thanks to a promotional offer by an AVG reseller, I do currently have a number of W7 laptops running sweetly with AVG 9.0 Pro.

Many of us here are former AVG users. Recently a couple of my friends with Outlook 2010 told me about serious compatibility problems with AVG 2011 Free.
They knew that I used avast! In answering their questions about AVG alternatives I did not neglect to tell them that avast! wasn't perfect, that they should make their own evaluation of the various options, including waiting for a fix from AVG.
In each case within the hour, both emailed me to say they had installed Avast! Free.

Why did they choose avast? It wasn't because I told them AVG was crap!

However sincerely and well-intentioned we may be in supporting avast! here, it can easily be misconstrued as fanboyism. So without making any comment on the merits of contributions by individuals in this discussion so far, can we please stick to the facts and avoid cheap shots.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 10:59:52 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2010, 11:36:53 AM »

Why is minacross clueless about upgading his PROFILE with 1234 posts ???

what your talking about exactly?
MW

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2010, 11:39:15 AM »
live with what you pay for, which is nothing
I live with avast, which respects the free users. Period.

3. What do you mean?
Free version did not allow languages. Did it change?

4. Maybe I am not understanding you. What shields, that once belonged to the free version, passed to the paid version? Isn't it the opposite situation? AVG made LinkScanner Free. AVG made Identity Protection free. AVG now added Anti-rootkit protection to the free version; along side with Identity Protection.
WebShield (in particular), antirootkit and gaming mode that we can have for free on avast.
http://www.sytru.com/compare/avg-free-antivirus-professional-internet-security
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 11:48:25 AM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2010, 11:47:45 AM »
It seems avast! free version has slower updates...
It's not.
The automatic update period is different.
The same servers updates the free and the pro.

so, why criticize how AVG provides the free version updates? It makes no sense.
Oh, it makes sense. AVG and Avira do not respect the free user regarding to updates: less servers, frequency and (with Avira), popups...

The paid version has a sandbox... free version doesn't. So, why talking about the difference between AVG's free and paid products? Makes no sense.
Stop talking it makes no sense. I'm not stupid and neither you are.
All the user needs to stay clean is on the free version. The protection is enough and you don't need to buy the pro.
If you need other services, like the firewall and sandbox, you can buy or even use other freeware products.
You can have a full suite for free if you want (CIS).
I'm talking about free users respect, which I do not see on AVG and Avira, pushing the paid product.

Bashing one other product (which seems to be what is happening) won't make avast! be any better.
Sure. I'm the first against fanboyism.

What benefits would come out of such type of thread to avast! users? None. :)
Stop posting them :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2010, 11:53:03 AM »
But, it is not true that it only updates once a day.
Automatically.

Or, simply lack of knowledge.
It could be. I'm trying to learn :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2010, 11:56:47 AM »
The thing here is that it's not just users on a forum complaining about AVG. Users who may have limited computer savvy and may have done something themselves that caused the problem. This is Majorgeeks, people who certainly know what they're doing and their opinion therefore carries a lot more weight. They obviously have been using the product for years and are well qualified to know how it has changed for the worse.

AVG used to be the best free solution available. I used to recommend it to people who did not want to pay for their protection. It never was up to snuff with the paid products such as Norton or even McAfee but it was a lot better than nothing at all. Nowadays, all I read are complaints about increasing bloat and ineffectiveness of the free product. I tried their Linkscanner once and it worked great as long as their servers were up but one day the servers went down and I was practically unable to browse at all. Norton's Safe Web is much better. Grisoft / AVG is rapidly losing it's position as a major player in the security field.
Well said.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2010, 12:01:12 PM »
And, I'm trying to understand which features are those?
WebShield.

They have added features like LinkScanner, Identity Protection and Anti-Rootkit protecion.
The same did avast.

AVG added the antispyware component to the free version as well.
Same did avast.

So, saying that AVG has taken features away is a lie. They have added features to it.
What about WebShield?
I'm not lying. I'm the first who will rectify if I'm wrong.

Silk0

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2010, 01:13:39 PM »
Seems we have a little friendly discussion about avast! vs. AVG.

Well... first at all, i wanna say that I'm not a fanboy of Avast! or something else... personally, i use Avast! cause i think it's the better AV (i have tested, of course) for my computer.
I used AVG. Yes... couple of years ago... it was very used and very well talked... but after that, other companies raised to the next level and that's why AVG it's falling apart on the free antivirus competition (gradually).
Why?
Because:
1. Avira have more detection rate but low on shields.
2. Avast! have more layers of protection, more configurable and the detection rate it's only 3%/5% under Avira.

So you see... AVG will have to create a 'miracle' to get out of this...

------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT

Have a look on this last test of AV Comparatives.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/pua-tests
I wonder why "AVG decided to not get included in this report"...  ::)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:17:09 PM by Silk0 »

YoKenny

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2010, 01:35:44 PM »
I must have skipped or missed the part, when I registered here, that I was obligated to:

1. Mention my country
2. Mention my operating system and service pack version
3. Have an avatar

as a Jr. Member you have much to learn.
  • 1. 99% of avast! forum users show their country
  • 2. Most Jr. Members do not know how this helps other forum members with much knowledge provide meaningful assistance
  • 3. Please read Avatar (computing), the graphical representation of a user
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(computing

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2010, 01:41:32 PM »
I must have skipped or missed the part, when I registered here, that I was obligated to:

1. Mention my country
3. Have an avatar

• 2. Most Jr. Members do not know how this helps other forum members with much knowledge provide meaningful assistance
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(computing
What does this have to do with the subject of this Thread ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

YoKenny

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2010, 01:43:23 PM »

Why is minacross clueless about upgading his PROFILE with 1234 posts ???

what your talking about exactly?
Go to PROFILE then Forum Profile Information in Modify Profile then Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2010, 01:55:07 PM »

1. Mention my country
3. Have an avatar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(computing)  
What does this have to do with the subject of this Thread ???

+1 ???

@ YoKenny please cool off you've bitten your own tongue for being a little to aggressive and a little to far on the edge, cool off YoKenny go and have a cold beer ;D and relax and smile ;D ;D ;D.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:56:50 PM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

YoKenny

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2010, 02:03:08 PM »
@ YoKenny please cool off you've bitten your own tongue for being a little to aggressive and a little to far on the edge, cool off YoKenny go and have a cold beer ;D and relax.
Its a bit too early for a beer now but maybe I'll go looking for reruns of Crocodile Dundee or maybe change my avatar to him ;)