Author Topic: Bad move Grisoft  (Read 22496 times)

m00nbl00d

Re: Bad move Grisoft
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2010, 05:35:14 PM »
m00nbl00d, being that you have stated that you do not use either avast or avg so you seem to not be in the position to answer or make statment's about either, you can try to do manual update's a few time's a day with avg but it wont get you anyware because they only release update's every 12 to 24 hour's the last time i used it anyway which was about two years ago, unless they have started to add more regular updating recently.

Just to clarify things: I mentioned I do not use either. I didn't mention I never used any. Actually, before installing anything into relative's systems, I test everything in virtual machines, and only then deploy them to their systems, by giving them the choice of which one fits better their needs. Some like AVG, others like avast!.

AVG allows free users to updates more than once a day. I do not remember a single day being otherwise. If updates were available, it would update. But, automatically, only once...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 05:48:53 PM by m00nbl00d »

m00nbl00d

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2010, 05:40:25 PM »
live with what you pay for, which is nothing
I live with avast, which respects the free users. Period.

And, it's your right to do it so. Others pay for it. Others use other security vendor products. Why making such a big deal out of it?

Quote from: Tech
3. What do you mean?
Free version did not allow languages. Did it change?

Since version 7, which was the version I first contacted with... I always have seen it in my own language version. So on... I really am not following? AVG provides the free version in the same languages it provides the paid products.

Quote from: Tech
4. Maybe I am not understanding you. What shields, that once belonged to the free version, passed to the paid version? Isn't it the opposite situation? AVG made LinkScanner Free. AVG made Identity Protection free. AVG now added Anti-rootkit protection to the free version; along side with Identity Protection.
WebShield (in particular), antirootkit and gaming mode that we can have for free on avast.
http://www.sytru.com/compare/avg-free-antivirus-professional-internet-security

I already mentioned that the web scanner component was never part of AVG Free. They have added FULL anti-rookit protection to their free version in AVG 2011, and also Identity Protection full power (behavior blocker).

AVG has added features to AVG Free AV. They did not take any away from it. So, where are you getting that info?

-Edit-

By the way, the link you provided... I couldn't see which version they compare. Is it 2011? If it is, is wrong... And, if it was accurate, then you had just point me a link that states the Free version also provides automatic updates every other minute:

Automatic updates download virus definition every couple of minutes

It has a check mark in this feature for the free version. So, believing the link you provided, you just prove that AVG does offer automatic updates, more than once a day, to their users.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 05:58:00 PM by m00nbl00d »

m00nbl00d

« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2010, 05:43:03 PM »
It seems avast! free version has slower updates...
It's not.
The automatic update period is different.
The same servers updates the free and the pro.

so, why criticize how AVG provides the free version updates? It makes no sense.
Oh, it makes sense. AVG and Avira do not respect the free user regarding to updates: less servers, frequency and (with Avira), popups...

The paid version has a sandbox... free version doesn't. So, why talking about the difference between AVG's free and paid products? Makes no sense.
Stop talking it makes no sense. I'm not stupid and neither you are.
All the user needs to stay clean is on the free version. The protection is enough and you don't need to buy the pro.
If you need other services, like the firewall and sandbox, you can buy or even use other freeware products.
You can have a full suite for free if you want (CIS).
I'm talking about free users respect, which I do not see on AVG and Avira, pushing the paid product.

Bashing one other product (which seems to be what is happening) won't make avast! be any better.
Sure. I'm the first against fanboyism.

What benefits would come out of such type of thread to avast! users? None. :)
Stop posting them :)

You keep mentioning respect to free users... as if any security vendor was forced to provide free security? If X person does not like what Y vendor as to offer... if they offer it for free... simply don't use it.

Why are people complaining over a free product, which they don't even use it? This is what makes no sense to me.

Do any security vendor have the obligation to provide security for free?

m00nbl00d

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2010, 05:47:25 PM »
I must have skipped or missed the part, when I registered here, that I was obligated to:

1. Mention my country
2. Mention my operating system and service pack version
3. Have an avatar

as a Jr. Member you have much to learn.
  • 1. 99% of avast! forum users show their country
  • 2. Most Jr. Members do not know how this helps other forum members with much knowledge provide meaningful assistance
  • 3. Please read Avatar (computing), the graphical representation of a user
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(computing)  

1. Again, I failed to understand how knowing the country where I'm from/where I'm living in, will help anyone solve any possible problem regarding avast!?

2. If you have interest in reading what I wrote behind, rather than just come in like some knight, you'd see me mentioning I don't use avast! (I do have relatives who use it, hence I registered here.); therefore mentioning my O.S and S.P., would be of no use, at all.

3. Again, I failed to understand what usefulness a freaking avatar brings to solving issues with avast!? Does a little shinning - or whatever - image/picture solve any problem? Make us be better people... or whatever you believe it makes you be?

Seriously, if you have nothing better to add to the thread... don't.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 05:53:49 PM by m00nbl00d »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2010, 06:03:52 PM »
m00nbl00d
Please, enough already stop spamming this forum.
Your starting to sound like a broken record and still aren't answering specifics.
We know you like AVG so why not talk to other folks on their forum who seem to have a tough time
continuing to feel the same way you do.
Here's a nice comparison of what's offered by the top 4 Free antivirus programs and it speaks for itself.
(Click image to enlarge)

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Silk0

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2010, 06:06:17 PM »
I agree with bob.

And the thing i don't like it's fanboys... ;)

m00nbl00d

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2010, 06:15:09 PM »
Right folks. Whatever makes you feel better with yourselves.

If clarifying something that was being said by another person (Maybe Tech has been reading the wrong info. Nothing against it.), makes me a fan-boy of a product I don't even personally use... OK.

I guess that saying bad things about one other security product/vendor, in a forum belonging to one other security vendor, when such things aren't true... I guess you're just showing your love. Not being fanboys, right? I'm not the one bashing avast! over AVG forum. It's an avast! user bashing AVG over their forum as well. A link was even provided here.

Whatever...

My initial question was: Where are the evidences that AVG ripped off features from the free version to upsell their paid security products?

No one has managed to provide them. All I tried was to clarify a few facts that one user believed to be the accurate ones, when they're not. If it's a crime... so be it.

But, no one has managed to show me evidence of such practice from AVG's side. If someone says this, they better provide facts about it. It would be interesting to know about it. I respect AVG the same way I respect AVAST, and if any of them would do what was mentioned about AVG, they would lose my respect. So, this is why I want to know where are the evidences of such? Because, everything I research and test, points me in the opposite situation.

Bye bye

Altarir.

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
1. Again, I failed to understand how knowing the country where I'm from/where I'm living in, will help anyone solve any possible problem regarding avast!?

nah, it will help YoKenny to troll you based on the country you live in.

Also, hey! Don't leave! At least you make sense, unlike "99% of avast forum users" ::)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 06:34:51 PM by Altarir. »

m00nbl00d

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2010, 06:27:57 PM »
m00nbl00d
Please, enough already stop spamming this forum.
Your starting to sound like a broken record and still aren't answering specifics.
We know you like AVG so why not talk to other folks on their forum who seem to have a tough time
continuing to feel the same way you do.
Here's a nice comparison of what's offered by the top 4 Free antivirus programs and it speaks for itself.
(Click image to enlarge)

Bob, please don't say I'm spamming this forum, because it is not true, and you know it. I'm just clarifying a few facts that weren't accurate, and trying to understand where people find such information; and also where are the evidences of what AVG is doing, according to some. Because, if it is true, they'll lose my respect.

Also, you guys don't seem to know what is part of what.

In your comparison table, you show AVG Free has having a Web shield component. It doesn't have one. **
Then, you mention that it doesn't have a behavior shield component. It has one.

-Edit-

Also, I was never comparing avast! versus AVG. I just pointed out that is stupid to make comparisons. Each security vendor knows what must be offered or not for free, or just paid. If we, as the people using security software (whatever that may be), don't feel OK with it, let's use something different. That's why some prefer avast!, others AVG, others Avira, etc... Others feel it's worth paying for the extra stuff. It's just like that.

** What it does have, is an URL scanner: LinkScanner, which will prevent exploits. But, not infections against known malware, like avast!'s Web Shield. (Again, I'm not comparing... Just stating what one has and what the other doesn't. In this case, avast! has it. That's great! Thank you AVAST!)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 06:35:42 PM by m00nbl00d »

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
Could somebody please called the 'Fireman' as this posted 'Bad move Grisoft' is already on fire and it getting out of control here :-\

Thank you :-\
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2010, 10:36:19 PM »
m00nbl00d, thanks for clarifying me some ideas I had about AVG. I have no trouble on learning.
Bob, thanks for the chart, very illustrating.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2010, 10:58:45 PM »
Guys, time to chill out.

Before closing this thread, a few things worth mentioning.

- I personally welcome anyone on this forum to express his opinion on any product, avast including (be it good or bad). Most of the users hanging around here on the avast forum try to defend the avast product, of course, as it's what they use and what they usually consider the best. However, if anyone prefers another product he's free to express such an opinion here.

- I actually think that the points risen by m00nbl00d are mostly valid, and not controversial.

- Regarding the table Bob posted. This is actually taken from an older avast official presentation. Today's AVG LinkScanner is somewhat equivalent to avast's WebShield (originally, it was only about exploits but was extended to broader classes of malware afterwards) so I'd say it's fair to say that AVG does have a Web Shield like feature. Behavior Shield (or equivalent) was added to AVG Free in version 2011 (the former Sana product aka AVG IDP) so the table should indeed be updated. OTOH, the one line of the table that I find strange is the Boot-time scanner - AFAIK avast is the only product that has such a feature.

- YoKenny, please refrain from flooding the threads with requests to add custom signatures, avatars, country flags etc... while having a computer specification in the signature may be helpful when solving some technical issues, for most of the threads you're doing it in it doesn't really matter at all.

- I think the point of the original poster was just to inform the people here on our forum that MajorGeeks is abandoning AVG (a similar thread was also started over at Wilders, DSLreports and other security-related forums). It's certainly an interesting move from MajorGeeks, and maybe also a slight opportunity for us to acquire some new (ex-AVG) users. But nothing more... no one is trying to mock a competing product.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2010, 11:03:39 PM »
MajorGeeks is abandoning AVG
Why?
Do you have a link for the Wilders... It's a big forum :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2010, 11:20:46 PM »
MajorGeeks is abandoning AVG
Why?
Do you have a link for the Wilders... It's a big forum :)

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=285172&page=5
See post #102 and on...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2010, 11:44:02 PM »
A point to note in continuation of this  thread http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3522/p/19354908/19784369.aspx#19784369

When I clean a machine that has AVG and the use of Combofix is called for, AVG must be fully installed or combofix will not run, as the interference from AVG can cause damage to the system files and render the system unbootable.  Turning it off will not work as AVG has a few low level drivers that will not turn off