Author Topic: Can't send email  (Read 7702 times)

mburke

Can't send email
« on: April 04, 2011, 04:50:44 PM »
Using Outlook Express on Vista, when I try to send email I get this error message:

Subject 'test', Account: 'mburke', Server: 'outgoing.verizon.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

When I stop Internet shield mail shield and spam shield I can send can you help with this?

sded

Re: Can't send email
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 04:59:18 PM »
I don't have Verizon, but try using port 587 instead of port 25.

mburke

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 05:51:21 PM »
Thanks but trying port 587 didn't help.

Nesivos

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 06:25:56 PM »
This may help

Details

In order for e-mails to be scanned by the Mail Shield, it is necessary that encryption is turned off in the mail client software. If encryption is required, the appropriate e-mail accounts need to be configured in the Mail Shield to establish a secure connection with the mail server. This will enable all incoming and outgoing e-mails to be scanned by the Mail Shield. All other e-mail accounts using unencrypted connections should be listed as unencrypted in the SSL Accounts settings of the Mail Shield (i.e. SSL/TLS encryption set to 'None', ports for SMTP to '25', for POP3 to '110' or for IMAP to '143', by default).

There is a lot more on the links below

https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458&nav=0,2,64

https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=view&parentcategoryid=64&nav=0%2C2

mburke

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 08:06:31 PM »
Looking at my settings I don't have encryption set for outgoing mail, so I don't think that's the problem.

doktornotor

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 08:07:36 PM »
Post the screenshots of your mail client settings and avast email shield - SSL accounts settings here. No point in guessing.

mburke

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 09:52:24 PM »
Can you tell me how to insert a screenshot into my reply? Thanks.

doktornotor

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 10:02:26 PM »
Additional Options - Attach.

mburke

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 10:41:59 PM »
Avast screenshot attached

mburke

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 10:42:55 PM »
Outlook screenshot

Nesivos

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 10:56:57 PM »
Looking at my settings I don't have encryption set for outgoing mail, so I don't think that's the problem.

I thought you said

Using Outlook Express on Vista, when I try to send email I get this error message:

Subject 'test', Account: 'mburke', Server: 'outgoing.verizon.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

When I stop Internet shield mail shield and spam shield I can send can you help with this?

Transport Layer Security (TLS) and its predecessor, Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), are cryptographic protocols that provide communications security over the Internet.[1] TLS and SSL encrypt the segments of network connections above the Transport Layer, using symmetric cryptography for privacy and a keyed message authentication code for message reliability.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security

If you are using SSL then your account is encrypted

doktornotor

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 11:50:57 PM »
So, Verizon does not support encryption, or why did you set up the POP like that in Avast? Also, there is no setting in Avast for SMTP, again. I am not going to ponder about Verizon instructions, kindly point me to their support page so that I can tell how to set up your email client and Avast.

Nesivos

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 12:04:19 AM »
So, Verizon does not support encryption, or why did you set up the POP like that in Avast? Also, there is no setting in Avast for SMTP, again. I am not going to ponder about Verizon instructions, kindly point me to their support page so that I can tell how to set up your email client and Avast.

Here ya go.

This may help

https://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/fiosinternet/email/setup+and+use/questionsone/86782.htm

If you don't like the link you may want to take the initiative to find one that you do like :)

mburke

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 12:05:50 AM »
Seems weird that SSL shows in the error message as you pointed out Nesivos but the settings for ssl aren't checked in my account settings. Doktornotor, I didn't set up my email in Avast that's the way it set itself up.

mburke

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 12:09:46 AM »
Nesivos, those settings are what I'm using. I'll try contacting Avast support, I can see this becoming a situation where neither Verizon or Avast wants to take responsibilty. Computers.. what a concept!