Author Topic: Mail scanner broken with today's update?  (Read 48016 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Mail scanner broken with today's update?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2004, 02:54:38 PM »
If the MPW did made the changes everything should be ok now as Vlk explained. Just to make sure, check your account settings. If they are as your email provider has instructed you it should be ok.

If not, you have to change them manually.

CoJo

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2004, 03:46:18 PM »
It looks like I am going to have to do it manually.
And I don't know where to begin...
cojo

uffbros

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2004, 05:16:03 PM »
Go to your internet service provider's home page and look under help or freq asked questions and look for mail settings...It will tell you what to put in the boxes. Or just call them and they will walk you thru it.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2004, 05:31:23 PM »
If you leave your settings as they were before the update - it should work with avast4.5 as well. Especialy having pop3/smtp server set to 127.0.0.1, and username as my_real_name#my_pop3_server.domain.net.

It is NOT necessary but it shoud work.

We recommend to setup you mail client as if avast!  is not installed - but the old way works pretty the same as in previous versions.

Tipton

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2004, 05:34:48 PM »

We recommend to setup you mail client as if avast!  is not installed - but the old way works pretty the same as in previous versions.

That method did not work for me. Any other ideas? My mail works fine if I disable the Avast mail scanner.

Tipton

Sindbad

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2004, 05:35:25 PM »
If you leave your settings as they were before the update - it should work with avast4.5 as well. Especialy having pop3/smtp server set to 127.0.0.1, and username as my_real_name#my_pop3_server.domain.net.

For me (MS Outlook 2003), doesn't work >:( After I change to real names it works fine. Hope the protection provided is the same ;)

Cheers!

Sindbad

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2004, 05:38:51 PM »
Once more question: I've just realised that "internet mail" provider works, but it doesn't scan files (number scan files: 0). Is it correct???

Notice that I use MS Outlook as a e-mail client

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2004, 05:43:58 PM »
Once more question: I've just realised that "internet mail" provider works, but it doesn't scan files (number scan files: 0). Is it correct???

You have answered your own question, stop looking at the Internet Mail provider for information about Outlook/Exchange.

Switch to the Outlook/Exchange provider and check there for the number of emails scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

peterfu

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2004, 05:45:00 PM »

That method did not work for me. Any other ideas? My mail works fine if I disable the Avast mail scanner.

You have a firewall ? May be this is blocking Avast
br
Peter

conazus

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2004, 05:45:53 PM »

You have answered your own question, stop looking at the Internet Mail provider for information about Outlook/Exchange.

Switch to the Outlook/Exchange provider and check there for the number of emails scanned.

Then you could also try this.   Send yourself a test email.    After receiving it go back and check those numbers again.    :)

Sindbad

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2004, 05:47:55 PM »
DavidR, thankx for prompt answer.

I check it - 21 e-mails scanned  ;D. Works fine, doesn't it? But icon during scannig in sys tray still missing...  ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2004, 05:55:05 PM »
But icon during scannig in sys tray still missing...  ???

Which one is missing, avast or email Icon, if email icon have you checked the settings to display this (has it worked before). I'm not sure if this is displayed with Outlook or if it remains in the system tray after email has been scanned (only during scan).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sindbad

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2004, 06:06:38 PM »
But icon during scannig in sys tray still missing...  ???

Which one is missing, avast or email Icon, if email icon have you checked the settings to display this (has it worked before). I'm not sure if this is displayed with Outlook or if it remains in the system tray after email has been scanned (only during scan).

E-mail icon is missing (no a blue ball).

In previous ver it worked - only during scanning in sys tray icon was displayed - it indicated name of e-mail server when I pointed it.

I don'y change anything in Avast!. Maybe it's because Mail Protection Wizard no longer exist in new ver  ???

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2004, 06:36:57 PM »
Apparently you used Internet Mail provider for you accounts in Outlook. That is not necesary. Outlook / Exchange provider plugs itself right into the Outlook program and works slightly differently. It does not connects to any pop/smtp servers, it just scans emails which outlook downloads by itself.

If you need more detailed info about performed scans, check "Show detailed info on performed action" in Outlook/Exchange provider on Advanced tab.

Sindbad

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2004, 07:02:42 PM »
Apparently you used Internet Mail provider for you accounts in Outlook. That is not necesary. Outlook / Exchange provider plugs itself right into the Outlook program and works slightly differently. It does not connects to any pop/smtp servers, it just scans emails which outlook downloads by itself.

If you need more detailed info about performed scans, check "Show detailed info on performed action" in Outlook/Exchange provider on Advanced tab.

Ok, I understand it  8)
BTW, old ver of Avast "connects to any pop/smtp servers"  ??? Now my MS Outlook works as fast as thunderbolt ;D

Thankx a lot for explaination and sorry for wasting your time.