Author Topic: Which application should I allow?  (Read 14970 times)

RV01

Which application should I allow?
« on: November 23, 2004, 12:57:07 PM »
My OS is Millennium, My antivirus is Avast4.5 my firewall is Sygate Personal Firewall and my Spam filter is Secretmaker.I would like to ask which of the following applications I should allow when I Connect to the net since I am not completely sure what to dowith some of these. Thanks for any help.

FILE NAME   VERSION   PATH
1.Avast antivirus service   4.5.514.0   C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ASHSERV.EXE
2.C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE      
3.Distributed COM Services   4.71.3328   C:\Windows\System\RPCSS.EXE
4.Microsoft AutoUpdate   5.4.5681.0   C:\Windows\WUAUBOOT.EXE
5.Microsoft AutoUpdate   5.4.5681.0   C:\Windows\WUAUCLT.EXE
6.Microsoft QMgr   5.4.1103.3   C:\Windows\LOADQM.EXE
7.Secretmaker   3.9.8.1   C:\Program Files\SECRETMAKER\Secretmaker.exe
8.Spooler Sub System Process   4.90.3000   C:\Windows\System\SPOOL32.EXE
9.Windows Explorer   5.50.4134.100   C:\Windows\EXPLORER.EXE

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Which application should I allow?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 02:20:40 PM »
1] Yes
2] No
ssdpsrv.exe is installed alongside USB components usually on Windows ME. This procses (Simple Service Discovery Protocol) is a subcomponent for USB. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

There is no need for USB to connect to the internet unless you have a usb network.

3] No, unless you need it.
rpcss.exe is an executable of Microsoft Windows Opearting System. It is reponsible for Remote Procedure Call services on the local machine. These are public services available to the local network. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

4] Only if you do not update through the MS update website.
5] See 4
6] No, in fact you can remove the loadqm from loading at boottime unless you want to troubleshoot.
7] Yes
8] No
spool32.exe isa part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System which deals with the spooling of Microsoft Windows print jobs. This process is only executed when this method is selected in the printers configuration properties. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

No need for a printer to connect to the net, unless it is a network printer or shared printer.
9] Normally no. May be needed access if you use the help in Windows though.

explorer.exe is the Windows Program Manager or Windows Explorer. It manages the Windows Graphical Shell including the Start menu, taskbar, desktop, and File Manager. By removing this process the graphical interface for Windows will disappear. Note: explorer.exe is also registered as a process which is the w32.Codered and the Coreflood viruses. These viruses are distributed via the Internet through e-mail and comes in the form of an e-mail message, in the hopes that you open it’s hostile attachment. The worms have their own SMTP engine which means it gathers E-mails from your local computer and re-distributes itself. In worst cases these worms can allow attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. It is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately. Please see additional details regarding these processes

RV01

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 09:34:55 PM »
But if I block Windows Explorer Ican't surf the net what should I do?Is this correct?I have allowed this application otherwise I cant openany site?What should I do??????
Thanks for any help
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 09:42:09 PM by RV01 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 09:39:55 PM »
You don't browse the net with Windows Explorer. You do that with a internet browser!

RV01

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 01:05:00 PM »
OK But why can't I browse any site with the above settings?

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 01:07:58 PM »
Because you have to set your Internet options. In your Internet Explorer (not Windows Explorer), go to TOOLS, Internet Options, Connections, Lan Settings and uncheck USE PROXY SERVER... if it's checked...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 09:09:32 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

RV01

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 09:00:07 PM »
I did so and nothing changed.  ???

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 09:11:41 PM »
Ok my friend... let's start from the bottom... reboot your PC first, then when you log back in, completely turn off your software firewall (Sygate in this case).

When your Sygate is disabled. Try to open Internet Explorer again. Post back what's happening...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 09:12:09 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

RV01

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 09:49:46 AM »
Now I am completely confused.I did so and now what is next?I think I have become a pain in the neck ???

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 12:01:09 PM »
Well, I couldn't possibly know what are all those settings set on your computer from here. Next step is very basic step, and it comes to checking your internet connection... do you even have a connection established ? Is there maybe some kind of technical difficulty on your Internet Service Provider's side ?

Other thing that I don't understand... how can you post in these forums if you claim that you don't have internet connection  ??? I'm affraid we don't speak about the same things... please, explain a little bit better what's exactly your problem, 'cause I can see you can use internet without any problems...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 12:02:18 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2004, 01:05:35 PM »
You say you can't browse any sites, but you still are here.... That is contradictionary. What exactly do you mean? Is your system clean from ALL malware? Are there any strange entries in the hosts file?

RV01

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2004, 02:59:56 PM »
Well in order to be here iI have to allow Windows explorer.This is  contradictory because you have suggested to me not allow Windows explorer application.Am I wrong here?I hope I have answered adequately.Thanks any way for your help

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2004, 03:11:44 PM »
That's not true, 'cause you are not using Windows Explorer to access these forums... you are using INTERNET Explorer.
Can you spot the difference ? Windows Explorer is NOT Internet browser. It's not meant for browsing the internet.

Internet Explorer is the one that we use for that...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 03:17:19 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2004, 03:11:55 PM »
Well in order to be here iI have to allow Windows explorer.This is  contradictory because you have suggested to me not allow Windows explorer application.Am I wrong here?I hope I have answered adequately.Thanks any way for your help

Strange.
Windows Explorer is blocked to access Internet in my firewall.
Internet Explorer is allowed.

Did you try to remove IE from your computer?
Which browse do you use?
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2004, 03:13:50 PM »
Technical, he is trying to use Windows Explorer for browsing the internet. Even if you deny access for Windows Explorer that doesn't mean that you have no access to internet.

INTERNET EXPLORER is for that purpose, not Windows Explorer...