Author Topic: Avast 2014: Internet Explorer has stopped working  (Read 37187 times)

Offline UserA789

• ...gone hut'n!
    • Final Level Radio
    • Personal Message (Offline)
Re: Avast 2014: Internet Explorer has stopped working
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2013, 03:20:53 PM »
Glad to help. :)
I see your fix already posted but I WANT to use the browser protection in my setup.  This is why I modified my thread to describe the EXACT issue and fix.

Offline bugler

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2013, 10:12:19 PM »
While it is appreciated that others with a similar problem (yet different) are being helped, the original problem has yet to be rectified.

Internet Explorer 8 x64 (64 bit edition of IE8) crashes
All addons/accelerators etc disabled

Please refer to the original post for more information.
This problem requires attention - thank you.
Is there a reason you are you still running IE 8 ???

Does his reason for running IE 8 really matter to you?  I run IE 8 as well on a Window 7 Pro 64-bit machine.  The point is that things worked fine until this past weekend when Avast did its update.  My Avast will not run at all now, will not update, indicates its disabled, etc.  Clearly they should be aware of the problem by now and could have emailed those who purchased this program to let them know a fix is available if one is available.

Offline *Hart*

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2013, 01:42:16 AM »
I have Windows XP x64.  I can no longer get onto IE8 at all, not x32 or x64, because of avast.  I immediately receive the BEX64 error message and I can only shut IE down by going into Task Manager and ending the task.

I've been working with EssexBoy but a resolution still hasn't been found.

When I uninstalled avast, I was able to get onto IE8.  But I need an antivirus program running while on the net so what can I do?  Wait until Avast fixes the problem . . .  wait until when?  Get another antivirus program . . .  what's another really good one like Avast used to be?

These "solutions" DID NOT work for me:

1. Remove the Browser Protection via setup. (I can't get onto IE8 to remove the protection.)

2. Go into CCleaner GUI>Tools>Start-Up>Internet Explorer>right click each "Avast Online Security" entry select "disable"

3. Go into Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Avast > Change/Remove > Change > un-check Browser Protection

4.  Start IE by right clicking the IE icon in your start menu and selecting Browse with add-ons turned off (this option is not available for XP x64)

5. Disable the avast add-ons in Internet Explorer 10 you right click on Internet Explorer launch.  You will see there is an option to run Internet Explorer in a special mode called "In Private". (IE8 doesn't have this feature)

6. Replacing the new version with an old version.  I can do this since I saved older versions but what about the new virus definitions that came with avast 2014?  These new virus/trojans/malware can get through.

a recent VPS update
Where can this be found?

Any other fixes that anyone knows about?  I don't want to be unprotected.

Offline bob3160

• avast! Überevangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • 53 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2013, 10:40:25 AM »

a recent VPS update
Where can this be found?
Download from here: http://www.avast.com/download-update
Run it, and see if that helps. You may want to try rebooting the system after the update has been installed.
Free avast! Security Seminar: http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/bob3160-1425909-protecting-yourself/    -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/
My Blog: http://bob3160.blogspot.com/ - Win 8.1 Pro 64bit, 4 Gig Ram, avast!2014.9.0.2015 Free, MBAM, WinPatrol -- How to Successfully Install avast! http://goo.gl/VLXde
                     - It's nice to be Important. - It's more important to be Nice. -

Offline UserA789

• ...gone hut'n!
    • Final Level Radio
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2013, 03:05:20 PM »
These "solutions" DID NOT work for me:

6. Replacing the new version with an old version.  I can do this since I saved older versions but what about the new virus definitions that came with avast 2014?  These new virus/trojans/malware can get through. I would believe you can still get VPS updates if you are still using V8 or V7.

This brings up a good point.

Is there someway for other users to download PREVIOUS versions of Avast; for times just like this?

Offline the_doc

« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2013, 04:23:48 PM »
Most current version of program and virus definitions still are noncompliant with Internet Explorer 8 (64bit program).

Offline NewUserGreg

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2013, 05:47:57 PM »
To my knowledge Avast hasn't even admited there is a problem.

Offline skinnypops

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2013, 06:33:04 PM »
hello,

after update 131031-0 today my ie9 now working perfectly again. go figure.actually im am now having no noticible problems with avast.

vista 32 bit, avast 9-0-2006 free, online armor free

vista 32 bit, IE9, avast 9-2016  free, comodo fw 7, mbam free, paragon backup and recovery 2011

Offline Mikeinho

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2013, 10:12:12 PM »
IE was working fine on my old XP laptop and Win7 desktop until I updated Avast to version 2014.9.0.2006

Not willing to turn off any protection features to continue using IE. Forced to switch to using Chrome (which I do not like) in the interim.

Big fan of Avast after being with virtually every other protection company throughout the years, but this is very poor service.

Avast... you need to sort yourself out.

Offline salubrius

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2013, 06:13:22 PM »
Well, I wouldn't use IE at all if I didn't HAVE to for work. I use chrome and FF for everything else. Anyway, I did the update today and tried to log into work and it just instantly brought up the internet explorer has stopped working box.

I checked online and this thread came up. I uninstalled avast and tada! It worked again. So I reinstalled avast, which made it not work again and tried the methods of solving it I've seen on this thread.

I can't use the usual methods to disable the add ons, due to not being able to click the settings icon in the top right corner (or anything else for that matter), so I went through control panel > internet properties > manage add-ons. I disabled all the avast add ons I could find: -
Name                avast! Online Security
Publisher           AVAST Software a.s.
Status              Disabled
Architecture        32-bit

Architecture        64-bit

Architecture        32-bit

Architecture        64-bit

However, IE still instantly crashes the same. I tried opening from the internet explorer (no add ons) yet it still reacted exactly the same. The only change being the greyed out background behind the crash box showed it was running no add ons.

I can't find any other add ons to disable, in Ccleaner I deleted it completely but still same issue. And as I said, I can't use any method involving IE actually being open as the box comes up instantly meaning I can't click settings or anything.

I have had to completely remove avast so that I can work, so I am now without any protection.

Any suggestions of decent free protection software that doesn't leave people in this mess for a week?

Offline bob3160

• avast! Überevangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • 53 Years of Happiness
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2013, 09:07:13 PM »
The incompatibility issue was cleared up with the latest version of avast!
You should be running avast! version  2014.9.0.2007
Free avast! Security Seminar: http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/bob3160-1425909-protecting-yourself/    -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/
My Blog: http://bob3160.blogspot.com/ - Win 8.1 Pro 64bit, 4 Gig Ram, avast!2014.9.0.2015 Free, MBAM, WinPatrol -- How to Successfully Install avast! http://goo.gl/VLXde

Offline puter illit

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2013, 11:19:12 PM »
The incompatibility issue was cleared up with the latest version of avast!
You should be running avast! version  2014.9.0.2007

Hummmm :-\ I updated the lasted program myself a few days ago and IE has been working fine, however program version show's as 2014.9.0.2006  not 2007????

Would have been nice if avast notified us to any updates, instead of me checking every day. Also I seem to be having other issues with virus definitions not updating automatically even though I have it set to update automatically, I've manually updated several times a day and it always has new definitions?? The only pop ups I'm getting is to add Mobil protection which I do not need as I do not have a smart phone and no way to stop the pop up's which seem to be delaying my start up. Don't know? don't think this new version has all the bug's worked out of it. Not even sure if I'm adequately protected at this point.
Dell XPS m1530 w/moderfied Dual O/S -XP PRO  SP3/Vista. 320gb/7200 RAM HD & all the bells & whistles. Avast: Home 6.0

Offline NewUserGreg

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2013, 11:30:32 AM »
My Win7, 64bit PC's IE is working fine now. Looks like they fixed the issue.

Offline reporting

« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2013, 07:46:40 PM »
Win7 IE10 - Just clicked the "update" button on avast and it did in fact update to the latest program version ...2007.  However when I enabled the Online Security Add-On again the issue remains the same as reported in these forum threads.  It hangs up IE and takes several minutes to load a page.  The only solution is to disable the Add-On.  The version of the Add-On says date 10-21-2013 version 9.0.2006.53 - is that the latest version of the Add-On that you have? 

I did not have the Add-On enabled when I updated the software.  Would that have somehow prevented it from updating the Add-On as well?  If so, how would I proceed to update the Add-On at this point?

Thank you very much for any help you might be able to provide with this problem.

Offline bob3160

• avast! Überevangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • 53 Years of Happiness
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2013, 08:56:25 PM »
The version you quote is the latest.
On my system, there is no slowdown opening IE with the avast! Online Security module enabled.

Google Chrome

AVAST recommends using the FREE Google Chrome™ browser.

Download Google Chrome Now