Author Topic: New BETA 4.5.536 - hopefully solving many of the issues...?  (Read 97443 times)

UpLateVA

Re:New BETA 4.5.536 - hopefully solving many of the issues...?
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2004, 04:19:17 AM »
UpLateVA, did you set correctly the authentication options for stmp server into the email accounts settings?

Yes, the "server authentication required" option has always been set for my various email accounts, and it's still set that way.  That includes the accounts which use the default SMTP server, and those which use alternate SMTP servers.  But Avast allows outgoing mail only thru the default server, not thru the alternates.

As noted previously, I can work around the problem by changing all accounts to use the default SMTP server.  But the underlying problem is still there, and I'm unable to send mail thru alternate servers, and still have outgoing messages scanned.

Besides this, can you open a DOS window and run:

telnet your_smtp_server 25

and see if you get the welcome message of the server?
In the place of your_smtp_server write your real smtp server address.

Yes, I tried the telnet test which you suggested, and the alternate SMTP servers respond properly.  That's not surprising, since I was able to utilize multiple SMTP servers prior to installing AVast, and I can still use them all if I configure the email accounts to bypass Avast.

But when the accounts are configured to go thru Avast, it allows outgoing messages *ONLY* thru those which utilize the default SMTP server, and not thru those which use alternate servers.  

lifek

« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2004, 06:24:32 AM »
hi there, i cannot update the latest beta.
I downloaded the patch beta 4.5.536 , but it kept on showing  : "connection terminating , retrying connection . "  

i am using window xp SP 2, window's firewall is off.
Using zone alarm firewall.

I tired closing both firewall before,but still cannot download the beta. My current avast is 4.5.523. Please help, thanks for the time.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 06:24:56 AM by lifek »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2004, 07:57:03 AM »
Are you using this link? http://www2.asw.cz/misc/aswbeta.exe

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2004, 12:29:18 PM »
That includes the accounts which use the default SMTP server, and those which use alternate SMTP servers.  But Avast allows outgoing mail only thru the default server, not thru the alternates.

If I'm understanding you correctly, the default smtp server is the one you connects the Internet. The default server into avast4.ini file is just used to send mail for analysis (for instance), it is not 'read' when specific smtp configuration is set into the email accounts.

I'm unable to send mail thru alternate servers, and still have outgoing messages scanned.

Are you using the last 4.5.536 version?
The best things in life are free.

farfouille

« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2004, 02:01:39 PM »
Hello

Just a little question.

After installing the beta, I saw that the file servers.def was modified. Will we need to change its content manually in order to download from the normal/release pool of servers when the beta phase will be over ?

Thank

Farfouille

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2004, 03:20:16 PM »
No, you won't have to change anything. I think that Vlk already explained somewhere in these forums, that everything goes automaticaly, even for beta users. Users don't have to take any action...

farfouille

« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2004, 04:04:31 PM »
Thank you S.Z.Craftec

tronje

« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2004, 05:04:34 PM »

Hello , today switched on my computer and a pop up and a melodic
voice told me an update was done.
i suppose this is the update you are asking us to do manually ?
i was not able to read this
thank you for your advice
tronje

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2004, 05:37:13 PM »
No tronje, that was just iAvs update... virus database update. You get audio alarm only when iAvs update is performed, not program update.

We were talking speciafically about program update. Most likely you'll get program update on Monday. It suppose to be out yesterday, but I've got message from "the first hand", one of Alwil guys, and he told me that release of latest avast! program build is delayed for Monday... Monday is close, so I guess no big deal to wait just a little bit longer...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 05:38:16 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

neal62

« Reply #99 on: November 27, 2004, 06:50:17 PM »
Vlk, I am using version 4.5.536. Have WinsXP Home, SP2 fully patched. Using Z.A. 5.5.062.000. Using Firefox 1.0., Thunderbird 0.9. Avast is scanning both incoming/outgoing e-mails and putting its stamp showing this. I have not experienced any problems what so ever with this Beta of Avast. Looks great on my end. Thanks for all of your and the Awil team work. Avast shows 6 providers with 5 of them running.  :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 03:42:18 AM by neal62 »

lifek

« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2004, 02:00:07 AM »
Are you using this link? http://www2.asw.cz/misc/aswbeta.exe

yup i am using this link, and downloaded avast! beta which is 52.0 kb size , i tried to download 3 other times but still the same result. Is there any other method whereby i do not need to update from the net? Is there any patch which i can just install directly without going through the net? Thanks alot.

UpLateVA

« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2004, 04:58:34 AM »
That includes the accounts which use the default SMTP server, and those which use alternate SMTP servers.  But Avast allows outgoing mail only thru the default server, not thru the alternates.

If I'm understanding you correctly, the default smtp server is the one you connects the Internet. The default server into avast4.ini file is just used to send mail for analysis (for instance), it is not 'read' when specific smtp configuration is set into the email accounts.

The "default SMTP server" is used for outgoing mail from all accounts, unless another SMTP server is specified for a particular account.  It was set thru the Mail Wizard, and the information is retained in the [Mail Settings] section of the avast4.ini file.

As noted in my prior post, when I attempt to specify a different (non-default) SMTP server in any account, Avast will not allow messages to be sent from that account.  Avast is working properly for outgoing mail *ONLY* when mail is sent via the default SMTP server

I have reconfigured all of my accounts to remove references to specific SMTP servers, so all messages are now sent via the default SMTP server.  That's an acceptable work-around for the time being, but it doesn't allow multiple SMTP servers to be used.

The "default SMTP server" for general use is separate from the "SMTP server" used for sending suspect files to Alwil for analysis.  The latter server is set via the context menu for the tray icon (Program Settings > SMTP), and the information is retained in the [Communication] section of the avast4.ini file.  I have not set any SMTP server in that section.

I'm unable to send mail thru alternate servers, and still have outgoing messages scanned.

Are you using the last 4.5.536 version?

Yes, I'm using 4.5.536.  That was the subject of my posting.  I reported that I had upgraded to the current version, but that upgrade had not resolved the pre-existing problem of failure to recognize multiple SMTP servers.  (The problem doesn't seem any worse than it had been prior to the upgrade.)

El Tel

Outlook Express problems
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2004, 06:24:00 AM »
Hi. I've switched here from the forum that was closed down (or at least, there were no further postings.
I am using the latest version of the program.

I still can't get Outlook Express to send mail. At first it was only mail with attachments, now it's any mail at all. Outlook (not Express) works fine. Outlook Express shows the transmission bar graphic as the email starts sending, but it stops short, and stays there until I get notification of a problem from the server.

Things I've noticed:
In OUTLOOK EXPRESS, my Server Settings have changed. They always were:
Incoming mail: pop.cantv.net
Outbound mail: mail.cantv.net
Account name: username
Now they are:
Incoming mail: 127.0.0.1
Outbound mail: 127.0.0.1
Account name: username#pop.cantv.net
I didn't change them - so I guess it must have been Avast.

However, the settings in OUTLOOK have NOT been changed, and it works fine.
BTW, I have increased all the timeouts as suggested on the other forum, and have tried enabling/disabling outbound scanning. Nothing helps.

Despite all this, I'm a newly converted Avast! fan - and told C-Net so.
I hope this feedback contributes to development. Congratulations on a really useful forum.

Best wishes from Venezuela.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2004, 06:32:11 AM »
Hello Mr. Frio again... sorry, I couldn't find any info, but can you repeat it if it's not the problem... what version of Windows you are using ? It's very important for this matter...

Cheers !

EDIT: Sorry, just found out that you are using Windows 98 Second Edition...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 06:36:43 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2004, 06:51:27 AM »
Before you start with this, make sure you completely closed your Outlook Express (not just minimized, you have to shut it down)...

Go to START / Programs / avast! antivirus and choose your MAIL PROTECTION WIZARD.

When it opens, mark (choose) AUTOMATICALLY REMOVE PROTECTION FROM ALL MY ACCOUNTS. Confirm all following requests, and when MAIL PROTECTION WIZARD closes itself, open your Outlook Express. This will remove avast! protection from your Outlook Express, and set original smtp and po3 server names as well as your original logging (user) name...

See if you can send/receive  e-mails without avast! mail protection running (no matter if you tried it before, just do it again).

Now, close your Outlook Express again (completely, like last time). Open your avast! MAIL PROTECTION WIZARD one more time, except now you have to choose AUTOMATICALLY PROTECT ALL MY ACCOUNTS, click on NEXT and confirm all requests you get from mail protection wizard.

When you exit the wizard, open your Outlook Express and try to send/receive with and/or without attachments. Note that this procedure will set your smtp and po3 server names to 127.0.0.1 and slightly change your logging name. Of course that's normal behaviour, because avast! must be "sitting" in between your mail client and mail server, otherwise your e-mails wouldn't be protected...

Post back what's happening...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 06:53:03 AM by S.Z.Craftec »