Author Topic: New AVAST 8!  (Read 192735 times)

Tetsuo

Re: New AVAST 8!
« Reply #210 on: March 03, 2013, 06:01:52 PM »
Apparently Avast  is now able to scan mails also when SSL security is enabled in the mail client, but the current changelog doesn't mention it in any way.
As usual Avast changelogs are pretty useless and pointless. Whoever writes those changelos for Avast really need to read some changelogs released by Emsisoft (for example). Maybe this way they will learn something helpful and maybe I don't have to check every items in every windows of the program after each upgrade to find out what's new.
Haven't you just repeated what you just wrote in the Beta thread.

Yes, I have repeated it here. Why? just to let other users know about an important change in Web Shied. Is that a problem for you?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #211 on: March 03, 2013, 06:19:19 PM »
I don't know if this has been reported yet, but there seems to be a translation hiccup in the Dutch translation. Some parts are still in English.

Yes, some of the translations, including Dutch, have not been finished in time (or yet), so the new/changed items are in English.

4breezes

« Reply #212 on: March 03, 2013, 08:34:14 PM »
Just installed version 8 and I cannot figure out how to add Gmail SMTP account to the mail shield.   I don't see where to add the account settings
You don't have to now if you read the last several posts, just turn the security back on in your mail client and make sure the scan SSL connection is ticked in avast Mail Settings, also remember to delet the accounts from avast.

I received the one-time pop-up concerning the SSL scanning.  It is causing me some concern and confusion.

The instructions seem to be clear enough.  1) turn the SSL Security back on in my email client (Pegasus Mail),  2) Be sure the "scan SSL connection" is checked in Avast Mail Settings/SSL Scanning,  3) Delete mail accounts from Mail Shields Settings/SSL Scanning.

I need some clarification and reassurance on this.  I  have no problem turning SSL security back on in Pegasus.  "Scan SSL connection" is currently/already checked in Mail Shield Settings/SSL Scanning in Avast.

My question comes in step 3.  SSL scanning is set for two Comcast mail accounts:  a POP3, using port 995, and an SMTP, using port 465.

Do I need to delete these two accounts?  If I delete these two accounts, what effect will that have on my port settings?  Will Pegasus still use those same ports, or will I need to change them?

Don't both methods accomplish the same thing?  What is the advantage of having Pegasus do the SSL scanning rather than Avast?  Is it really necessary to change?

Please, help me to understand this.

ramphil

« Reply #213 on: March 03, 2013, 10:04:53 PM »
Hi guys, the software updater and browser cleanup buttons are not enabled. Pop-up says to use avast installer to install them. Which installer? The free version download? Please note that I had Internet Security V7 which I upgraded in place to V8. Thanks.

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #214 on: March 03, 2013, 10:29:18 PM »
Hi guys, the software updater and browser cleanup buttons are not enabled. Pop-up says to use avast installer to install them. Which installer? The free version download? Please note that I had Internet Security V7 which I upgraded in place to V8. Thanks.
Here's the download link: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #215 on: March 03, 2013, 10:36:46 PM »
Is there a way to make the update popup smaller?  I like being informed of updates but I hate how big they are now.

IhatePCs

« Reply #216 on: March 03, 2013, 10:41:50 PM »
Considerably disappointed with the new version8, have backed out to Version7.  Scan on Version8 did run much quicker using Custom scan of All Harddisks, Memory, Rootkits (full scan), and auto-start programs (all users).  Unfortunately it only scanned 120,000 versus the old version that scanned over 650,000 items.  Same computer same programs.  So I guess I'll wait a few weeks and try it again. Yes I did verify all my settings were the same.  Oh well, these things happen, will follow up and try again in the future.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #217 on: March 04, 2013, 01:31:07 AM »
The instructions seem to be clear enough.  1) turn the SSL Security back on in my email client (Pegasus Mail),  2) Be sure the "scan SSL connection" is checked in Avast Mail Settings/SSL Scanning,  3) Delete mail accounts from Mail Shields Settings/SSL Scanning.

I need some clarification and reassurance on this.  I  have no problem turning SSL security back on in Pegasus.  "Scan SSL connection" is currently/already checked in Mail Shield Settings/SSL Scanning in Avast.

My question comes in step 3.  SSL scanning is set for two Comcast mail accounts:  a POP3, using port 995, and an SMTP, using port 465.

Do I need to delete these two accounts?  If I delete these two accounts, what effect will that have on my port settings?  Will Pegasus still use those same ports, or will I need to change them?

Don't both methods accomplish the same thing?  What is the advantage of having Pegasus do the SSL scanning rather than Avast?  Is it really necessary to change?

Please, help me to understand this.

I am using Pegasus Mail and had Mail Shield turned off.  I enabled it and there were a couple of entries in Avast's mail scanning settings which were for my ISP email accounts which doesn't require SSL which I deleted.  I do have a GMail account which does, but I have had Pegasus Mail set up to do the SSL connection for POP3, SMTP, and IMAP.  When I had Pegasus Mail check the servers for mail on all accounts via POP3, the connections worked fine.  IMAP was the same.  Avast Mail Shield seems transparent to me, but there were no mail with large attachments.

If you have modified your Pegasus Mail server settings, set them back up for SSL.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:34:04 AM by Gopher John »
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

ramphil

« Reply #218 on: March 04, 2013, 03:40:01 AM »
Thanks DJBone.

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #219 on: March 04, 2013, 07:22:34 AM »
Thanks DJBone.
You're welcome! :)

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #220 on: March 04, 2013, 07:32:27 AM »
Is there a way to make the update popup smaller?  I like being informed of updates but I hate how big they are now.

No, you can't make them smaller, you only can disable them.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

timo

« Reply #221 on: March 04, 2013, 08:06:35 AM »
Text positioning is slightly wrong in update display (using Finnish language if it makes any difference)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:34:06 PM by timo »

sedina

« Reply #222 on: March 04, 2013, 08:07:45 AM »
aswclear has not been updated at avast.com

Obtain v8 aswclear from here. -> http://files.avast.com/test5beta/aswclear.exe

Please use this link - http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/aswclear.exe

thanks,
pavel

Pavels, thanks for the link.  The download link on http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility is still pointing to an older version.

thanks for info, we will fix it :-)

iroc9555

« Reply #223 on: March 04, 2013, 04:51:19 PM »
aswclear has not been updated at avast.com

Obtain v8 aswclear from here. -> http://files.avast.com/test5beta/aswclear.exe

Please use this link - http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/aswclear.exe

thanks,
pavel

Pavels, thanks for the link.  The download link on http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility is still pointing to an older version.

thanks for info, we will fix it :-)

Hi Pavel.

Since you are updating that link, could you take a look at the link in " Recommendation "  for friends in " My Avast! " account. It still takes me to Avast! 7. Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 04:54:40 PM by iroc9555 »

Offline mbd35

« Reply #224 on: March 05, 2013, 04:12:52 PM »
I just tested and Avast successfully scanned an SSL test e-mail. I had the e-mail scanner turned off because it couldn't scan SSL.

Awesome upgrade, guys.