Author Topic: What Is The Best Free Firewall Today?  (Read 90267 times)

gdiloren

Re: What Is The Best Free Firewall Today?
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2008, 05:12:09 PM »
I can't think of PC Tools Firewall Plus being still active on my PC since no folders or files.
If you open network settings, try to install a new service and look up for a file (to install), won't PC Tools Firewall driver be shown there?

Driver is here on Vista C:\users\...\appdata\local\temp\pctfirewall

I've uninstalled PC Tools 6 months ago... it's still listed there  ???
No, I can't see just nothing. It's weird!!! ???

lee16

« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2008, 08:26:20 PM »
Try to right click on my network pace and choose properties, then choose local area connection right click and choose properties again. Look for 'PC Tools Firewall driver' in the list and if found, remove it.

If the above method doesn't work gdiloren, then you can get some info on uninstalling pctools firewall from pctools forum.

If above doesn't work (please do try the above first), then you could also try looking in "Network Adapters" in Device Manager to see if any device there has a yellow flag on it (and disable it if it does).

If this not help and your comfortable with editing your registry you could also try "Go to Start-> Run-> Type regedit-> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-> Software-> PC Tools-> Firewall-> Delete." but not forget to backup your registry first if your not confident/sure you can do this without causing harm xD

--------------------

Going off-topic a bit:

@ Lusher,

I'm glad we agree on letting other people have there own opinions, i really feel allowing other people opinions online and in real life is important for improving ones perspective on subjects.

However i feel i must mention that calling people "fanboys" will only proceed to help take more objectiveness from a post imo (however i am not blaming any of the disagreements of this posts on you just because of that one word)

As i said before, Ignorance is no excuse for stupidity.

I must admit I don't even know what this means.

Well trying to make the statement viable for that discusion it basically it means being uneducated in a subject is no need to do stupid things without first finding out about what your doing.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:37:40 PM by lee19 »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2008, 11:19:35 AM »
As i said before, Ignorance is no excuse for stupidity.

I must admit I don't even know what this means.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not trying to use it in a fruit salad.

By the same token, ignorance is not knowing that a tomato is a fruit, stupidity is trying to stuff one in the floppy drive of your computer.

Are we clear now?
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

gdiloren

« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2008, 04:28:07 PM »
Just to let you know. All the issues about the Firewalls and Security Center (but not only the Firewalls, look at Grisoft products) is linked to Revo Uninstaller. If you use the ADD REMOVE PROGRAM in CONTROL PANEL, it's fastest and cleanier. I repaired the thing in Security Center (PCTools issue in Security Center). The same issue appeared with Comodo 3 when using Revo Uninstaller for uninstalling. Second point, I had installation issues with Comodo 3 Firewall Pro setup: when stepping over the malware scan offer (no) it wouldn't install correctly. Only after doing the scan would the firewall be installed correctly. I'm waiting for AVAST FIREWALL SOON but I hate playing with fire here. Thanks :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2008, 04:39:15 PM »
All the issues about the Firewalls and Security Center is linked to Revo Uninstaller.
If a program requires a boot to uninstall, I do NOT recommend using RevoUninstaller to remove files and Registry keys left behind. If you're paranoid, take note of the files paths and the registry key names. Boot. Delete them on next login.
The best things in life are free.

Lusher

« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2008, 07:49:08 PM »

I'm glad we agree on letting other people have there own opinions, i really feel allowing other people opinions online and in real life is important for improving ones perspective on subjects.

Indeed. But you might be one of the few here who feel so. I do believe however in *engaging* in discussion, which is not to be equated with the attitude that my point of view is the only right one.... Though chances are you won't change anyone's mind, it is still useful for those who haven't made up their minds...

Too often, I find people  make broad claims, sweeping statements and then refuse to discuss them, for fear that they might be shown to be wrong... They just expect people to follow them and take what they say as gospel...

However i feel i must mention that calling people "fanboys" will only proceed to help take more objectiveness from a post imo

Well, how else would you describe people who's knee jerk response to disagreement is to yell "troll" ?

(however i am not blaming any of the disagreements of this posts on you just because of that one word)

You are wise to do so, since I'm not talking about you....

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2008, 08:35:39 PM »
Lusher implies that his opinion is the right one and the rest of us are fanboys:

You know what? The others will try to confuse you by telling you their fanboyish opinions about their favourite antivirus, antispyware, hips, ips, firewall whatever

Lusher claims that he doesn't have the attitude that his point of view is the only right one:

Indeed. But you might be one of the few here who feel so. I do believe however in *engaging* in discussion, which is not to be equated with the attitude that my point of view is the only right one....

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=33850.msg283462#msg283462

Lusher makes a sweeping statement:

Differences are not significant...

Then claims he doesn't make sweeping statements:

Too often, I find people  make broad claims, sweeping statements and then refuse to discuss them,

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=32170.0

Consistency! Let's try and be a little consistent.

Lusher

« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2008, 08:48:47 PM »
Dear Frank,

Thanks for twisting my words...

Even I would not insist that I am always right...or that I don't make mistakes... :)
But you Frank are perfect right?

A PM from someone here to me...

"It looks like they became afraid of new members who obviously have a lot more knowledge than they will ever have. As soon as someone attempts to say something that's not even close to what they think it's correct, even though it is nothing else but the truth, they will cut him in the start, in the root. They will never allow anyone to bring down their "reputation" of all-knowing-avast-evangelist-and-no-one-else-knows-nor-is-allowed-to-know-anything title."

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2008, 08:50:13 PM »
Sorry. I actually agree with what you say here.

I just think you're a punk.  :-*

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2008, 08:56:36 PM »
Hey you two, get a motel room & get it over with! ;D ::)

lee16

« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2008, 10:35:02 PM »
Well they do say love starts with hate  :P

Anyway, no one on this board or anywhere else is "perfect" since perfection is a delusion (that’s fact BTW)

Although I can see some people do shoot "newcomers" down if they disagree, but stubbornness is a good thing at times imo, sticking to your guns is something to be admired (within certain limits of course)

However I dislike both the words troll and fanboy, they are used to provoke emotional responses imo.
Blaming it on one person alone isn't fair though since it takes more then 1 person to pick sides...

You are wise to do so, since I'm not talking about you....
Ahh then I was just being a little paranoid, my bad

I feel that if you put the collective knowledge of the people on this forum you could solve any problem out there  ;D

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts

P.S. The above paragraphs do not "flow" to well, just had stuff i wanted to stay.

--lee

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 10:37:33 PM by lee19 »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2008, 10:38:02 PM »
A PM from someone here to me...
PM's are private messages and therefore shouldn't be posted in the open forum
unless specifically authorized by the person who originally sent the PM.   ::)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

gdiloren

« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2008, 01:24:40 AM »
All the issues about the Firewalls and Security Center is linked to Revo Uninstaller.
If a program requires a boot to uninstall, I do NOT recommend using RevoUninstaller to remove files and Registry keys left behind. If you're paranoid, take note of the files paths and the registry key names. Boot. Delete them on next login.
Why then keep Revo Uninstaller on Vista??? Vista does a pretty damn good job! :P

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2008, 12:25:42 AM »
Why then keep Revo Uninstaller on Vista??? Vista does a pretty damn good job! :P
Not really... the problem is on the uninstaller of the program and not on the operational system. In a lot of cases, Revo Uninstaller will do a great job.
The best things in life are free.

don67

« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2008, 02:33:48 PM »
update: new version of zone alarm 7.0.470.000