Author Topic: INTRODUCING: New avast program update 5.1.864  (Read 129631 times)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: INTRODUCING: New avast program update 5.1.864
« Reply #180 on: January 05, 2011, 06:04:11 PM »
I think if users would clean their computers, I don't mean the outside ;D more often, keep all of their software including Windows and Drivers up to date, use the Windows Firewall if they are using Windows 7 and regularly defrag their computer hard drive/s then they would have a lot fewer problems with Avast software.

Just my opinion.

Absolutely, no doubt about it!!...IMO ;D

bikemanAMD

« Reply #181 on: January 05, 2011, 07:18:57 PM »
Absolutely agree on folks keeping there computers up to date, Firewalls on, and all that--cause i got 4 systems here i maintain and i'm not seeing any major issues with Avast 5.1.864, maybe a little minor issues, but overall working great, nice and speedy, all is well

g0dsends

« Reply #182 on: January 05, 2011, 09:04:32 PM »
working great here  :P

Erebus

« Reply #183 on: January 06, 2011, 01:13:05 AM »
I think if users would clean their computers, I don't mean the outside ;D more often, keep all of their software including Windows and Drivers up to date, use the Windows Firewall if they are using Windows 7 and regularly defrag their computer hard drive/s then they would have a lot fewer problems with Avast software.

Just my opinion.

That's fair enough, but if everything is working fine before the program update and then browsing slows , like in my experience, after the update, then how is that the PC's fault? I do all you say above and are very vigilent, but the truth is that the latest version of avast! is not as fast as the previous. But I can wear that because I am only using the free version right now, and I understand that free users beta test for those who pay. So I am sure that eventually a better version will be issued without the slow-down issues.  No complaints here, just common sense. :)

kenf

« Reply #184 on: January 06, 2011, 02:01:53 AM »
I agree. It's good general advice to keep your system clean and well functioning, but I had the experience of not having any video after installing version 5.1.864.
I have other anti- malware and spyware programs and have never had this happen with any of them nor with prev. avast updates.

Offline Rompin Raider

« Reply #185 on: January 06, 2011, 06:14:32 AM »
I agree as well and did such...to my demise, I am using a Dell and it gave me the BSOD. Tonight, all is well and I did nothing different. Great job Avast Team...that was fast!
Win10 Pro 22H2 64 bit Avast Premium Security/uBlock Origin

jazs

« Reply #186 on: January 06, 2011, 06:24:23 PM »
Not sure or if this should be posted here or somewhere else.. I just installed the beta and it dropped me back the the free version. Is there a key or file were supposed to use to test the higher version?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #187 on: January 06, 2011, 06:42:38 PM »
What beta are you talking about as 5.1.864 wasn't a beta but regular release ?
Did you download the correct version (there were three links) ?

Or did you do a clean install of the pre-release build (5.1.874), in which case you may need to re-enter your license.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bilky

« Reply #188 on: January 06, 2011, 06:52:58 PM »
Hi --- When I did this upgrade on my 32 Bit Windows 7 system I got a BLUE SCREEN when I replied to Reboot, and had to do a SYSTEM RESTORE to previous day to get my system back. System came back OK but AVAST was deactivated and would not start up. I Uninstalled the product and Reinstalled and the product came back up. I then did the engine upgrade to 5.1.864 and everything is now fine. Any ideas as to what happened? P.S. When I did this upgrade on my XP system everything worked fine.   

jazs

« Reply #189 on: January 06, 2011, 07:45:43 PM »
What beta are you talking about as 5.1.864 wasn't a beta but regular release ?
Did you download the correct version (there were three links) ?

Or did you do a clean install of the pre-release build (5.1.874), in which case you may need to re-enter your license.

This is what I downloaded
Free AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
Pro AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
Internet Security: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe

It was a clean install and I never seen a license.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #190 on: January 06, 2011, 08:51:33 PM »
You can generally only download what you have a license for, not to mention this 5.1.864 isn't a beta but a regular avast release. That is why there are the three versions.

So if you had paid for avast Pro and that was installed on your system (you should have a license for it), then you could simply have done a Program Update from the avastUI (avast User Interface).

Otherwise if you didn't have avast installed You coulf download any of these Pro or AIS versions on a 30 unrestricted trial; at which point you have to buy a license for it (and enter it) or it reverts to the free version.

Or you could download the free version of this product and register it through the avastUI, Maintenance, Registration section.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #191 on: January 11, 2011, 06:38:18 PM »
update went fine here, just a minor thing had to do two reboots. the first time avast was updated and ask for reboot and so i did. after reboot i noted avast booted up normally and faster then the previous build nice on there avast i like it:D how ever when i hold the mouse over the avast ball i got up a screen sayed avast was not active but i know it was. so i did a second reboot of my pc and now when i holding the mouse over the avast ball i get after a few second that is aktiv. Don't know it it could have been something during the update or not. but avast is running well so far on the new build.

keep up the good work avast team.   
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

brhokla

« Reply #192 on: January 11, 2011, 09:39:13 PM »
Started Avast and it showed new update to program was available.  Did the update and now my computer won't run with Avast starting at all.  Can't use anything either.  Had to start in Safe mode, turn Avast off and then reboot.  It now works without Avast running in background.  Other Problem now when I click on the Avast icon to start it it tells me I do not have permissions and that the file may have been moved or relocated.  This was a bad update as far as i know.  I have Win 7 64bit on an HP laptop with 4 gigs ram.  I can't run Malwarebytes now either.  This is crazy!

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #193 on: January 12, 2011, 08:34:38 AM »
Started Avast and it showed new update to program was available.  Did the update and now my computer won't run with Avast starting at all.  Can't use anything either.  Had to start in Safe mode, turn Avast off and then reboot.  It now works without Avast running in background.  Other Problem now when I click on the Avast icon to start it it tells me I do not have permissions and that the file may have been moved or relocated.  This was a bad update as far as i know.  I have Win 7 64bit on an HP laptop with 4 gigs ram.  I can't run Malwarebytes now either.  This is crazy!

i suggest you try a clean installation of avast then. that will often fix it.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

brhokla

« Reply #194 on: January 12, 2011, 06:35:39 PM »
What do you recommend as an to take the older version of Avast off with?  Just the windows uninstaller?  I don't see that Avast has a true uninstaller to take it off?  Thanks